Jailbroken apps after software update

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
I recently jailbroke my iPad 3 and I'll be updating to iOS 6 once it gets released. I am aware that once I update the software, my iPad won't be jailbroken anymore. I want to know what will happen to my jailbroken apps. Will they get erased? How can I back them up. And to update the software all I have to do is go into Settings-> General-> Software Update, right? Or is it different on a jailbroken iPad?

Forgot to mention, I will be jailbreaking my iPad again after the iOS 6 update.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
If u are now jailbroken on ios 5 and u want to upgrade to ios 6 DONT do it through the ipad settings because your ipad will get stuck!
Always when we are jailbroken update through itunes ONLY,

Now your jailbroken apps will be deletes if you upgrade to a newest firmware.
Also not good idea to back up them and then if a new jb releases for ios 6 to restore them because maybe they are not compatible yet for the new ios.

My tip is if you upgrade firmware and u are already jbken always do a restore and a clean install, never from back up because garbage of jailbreak will transfer so maybe strange things can happen on your ipad.

I have an ipad 3 as well jbken on ios 5.1.1 i will only upgrade to ios 6 when a jailbreak releases!

Mayb i have to wait a month but i dont really mind, ios6 is not much diferent anyway:apple:

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
If u are now jailbroken on ios 5 and u want to upgrade to ios 6 DONT do it through the ipad settings because your ipad will get stuck!
Always when we are jailbroken update through itunes ONLY,

Now your jailbroken apps will be deletes if you upgrade to a newest firmware.
Also not good idea to back up them and then if a new jb releases for ios 6 to restore them because maybe they are not compatible yet for the new ios.

My tip is if you upgrade firmware and u are already jbken always do a restore and a clean install, never from back up because garbage of jailbreak will transfer so maybe strange things can happen on your ipad.

I have an ipad 3 as well jbken on ios 5.1.1 i will only upgrade to ios 6 when a jailbreak releases!

Mayb i have to wait a month but i dont really mind, ios6 is not much diferent anyway:apple:
When OS6 is jail broken you wil be able to download those apps for free again.
So I have to wait until a jailbreak for iOS 6 gets released before updating. Ok, will I have to redownload all the jailbroken apps again?? Isn't there an easier and faster way, restoring them or something?

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
keithbalomben.wordpress.com/2011/03/27/how-to-backupsync-iphone-apps-installed-with-installous-and-itunes/

More than likely you'll have to re-downdload. Write all the apps down so you know what you had.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
where did he say something about downloading pirated apps?
He said jailbroken apps, which could either be legit apps from cydia or pirated from installous.
I think he means both.

@OP, just in case anything happens, take screenshots of your ipad's desktop so then you can know what apps you had before formatting/restoring.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Thank you for pointing this out. I BUY my apps from the App Store. I jailbroke my iPad for tweaks and cydia apps which all costs money. I did not jailbreak to download pirated stuff and I did not have that in mind when I thought of jailbreaking my iPad. Anyway, it's my fault, I should've mentioned that in my post.

And by the way, it's a she ;)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
He said jailbroken apps, which could either be legit apps from cydia or pirated from installous.
I think he means both.

@OP, just in case anything happens, take screenshots of your ipad's desktop so then you can know what apps you had before formatting/restoring.
hmm ive only heard people refer to free apps as cracked apps or pirated apps :rolleyes:

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thank you for pointing this out. I BUY my apps from the App Store. I jailbroke my iPad for tweaks and cydia apps which all costs money. I did not jailbreak to download pirated stuff and I did not have that in mind when I thought of jailbreaking my iPad. Anyway, it's my fault, I should've mentioned that in my post.
I never once said pirated. I said you can download your jailbroken apps again for free once you jailbreak iOS6.

Last edited:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I never once said pirated. I said you can download your jailbroken apps for free once you jailbreak iOS6.
oh okay, well you actually said free apps. so i assumed you meant she was getting the apps free.

----------

And by the way, it's a she ;)
oh yeah hence the lady part of your name ;P oops

darngooddesign

macrumors G3
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
oh okay, well you actually said free apps. so i assumed you meant he was getting the apps free.
1. There are free jailbroken apps and tweeks?

2. I did not say download "free apps", I said download "those apps for free". Those refers to the apps she has already downloaded.

*sighs*

Last edited:

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
1. There are free jailbroken apps and tweeks?

2. I did not say download "free apps", I said download "those apps for free". Those refers to the apps she has already downloaded.

*sighs*
yes there are plenty of free debs.
I was just saying it sounded like you meant he got them for free.

When OS6 is jail broken you wil be able to download those apps for free again.
that says you can download them for free again, as in they are downloaded free the first time. If you would have said you can download them again, for free[this time]. that would have made more sense to me.
On top of it
I assumed it was common knowledge among people, that if you bought something you didnt have to buy it again. So idk what else you would have meant by it.

obviously i miss interrupted it

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 4, 2012
Jailbroken apps after software update

Ok so I'll have to redownload the cydia apps but I won't have to purchase the licenses again? Right?

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
If you have bought from cydia an app then you dont have to pay for it again, so just download them.

As for pgbackup i never used it, i write all the apps in a paper n redownloade them, soim sure all is ok and no back ups etc