Jailbroken Apps without Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alansmallen, Mar 24, 2009.

1. alansmallen macrumors 6502a

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

You have to pay. And it's RipDev. So no Cydia.

The Dev Team offer something more reliable and trusted, and you can choose to have Cydia/Intsaller. For no cost at all.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Not sure i would use aything from RIP dev any more with having issues a few months ago

4. alansmallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

But jailbreaking really slows down the reliability of the phone.

Plus, here you can get apps like Qik and PDAnet.

5. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

no....only if you bombard your phone with stupid little gimmicks and useless visual crap will it slow it down and make it unreliable...

if you jailbreak your phone and put solid apps and the odd bit, it will be fine.

i know this for a fact, as i tested me and my girlfriends phones side by side and after a reboot on both phones, one jailbroken one not, both were just as fast.

at the end of the day, all iPhones should be restarted at least twice a week to keep up the speed...its been like that since 1st gen.

6. alansmallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I used to have my iPhones jailbroken (First gen and 3G) and I restarted everyday. I still had issues. Not to mention lack of support from Apple.

7. kenkamm macrumors regular

You sure?

"Support for Both Installing Solutions

Now you don’t have to make a choice between alternative installers, you can get the best of both worlds, Installer and Cydia — InstallerApp supports both! Just add a your favorite repository in the Preferences window and application will automatically recognize its type and will show the packages from that repository, so you’ll be able to download packages to your computer and install them to a USB-connnected iPhone."

8. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

What support do you need from apple?
    restart everyday?

I think the last time I restarted was part of jailbreaking a month a go.

9. jreed91 macrumors regular

What is the link for the dev teams one?

10. alansmallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's called jailbreaking.

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

It's still jailbreaking. Installing non-approved apps is still violating your warranty anyway.

12. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Lol you even though I don't know what Qik is, I know it sucks and is just a waste copy of something that would be better in cydia. And PDAnet IS in cydia....which is still better :) boo.

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Well, if you want to get technical, jailbreaking refers more to creating access to an iPhone OS device's filesystem than to installing non-approved apps.

And I'm not quite sure that installing non-approved apps violates the warranty as much as unlocking or jailbreaking (the latter of which is still a big IF, IMO).

But that's if you want to get technical. :)

But anyway, I'm very curious about this. I'd like to see a little more documentation about the process than I've been able to find on RIPDev's site. Plus, I don't entirely trust them and have pretty much avoided Installer for quite some time. But I can't say that the concept of a "jailbreak-less jailbreak" isn't rather intriguing.

Qik is in Cydia, is not a waste, and is actually a quite capable cellphone-optimized video streaming service. Plus, I think the point of this new Installer is that you get the same stuff that is in Cydia or Installer when you jailbreak, just without the traditional modification of your device's filesystem.

14. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

I'm pretty intrigued by this program also.

I think $7 is not too much to pay, especially for the back up capabilities of the Cydia/Installer apps. I may purchase this tomorrow. Curious to hear what others have to say. Is EVERY application available?

15. Tres macrumors regular

:rolleyes:

16. alansmallen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Engadget clears everything up. http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/24/debunk-jailbroken-apps-on-a-non-jailbroken-iphone-not-quite/

This actually does jailbreak the phone, but allows you to manage the apps from a desktop app

I might be jailbreaking now....

17. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

Putting noapple apps on the iphone IS a jailbreak even if you do not use cydia or installer. The only semi right way is to make it yourself then beta it to yourself.

18. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Wrong.

WINTERBOARD and similar garbage slows down the phone and eventually corrupts the hardware.

Jailbreaking does nothing of the sort.

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Here's what it does... just to clear things up.

1. It jailbreaks the iPhone.
    2. Installs a daemon to communicate with InstallerApp.
    3. Locks the device back up.
    4. Background daemon only runs when you're installing stuff.

Technically, it still jailbreaks and installs 3rd party stuff. I don't know how they can get away with advertising it as the ability to install apps without jailbreaking.

20. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Has anyone tried it? Do you have to pay the $7 to use it? Is it easier than real jailbreaking & safe to do?

21. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

22. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Isn't this basically Pusher?

I'd rather have my real Jailbreak, free of charge.

23. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Is there another alternative to a program that will back up our Jailbroken iPhones and Cydia apps?