Jailbroken iOS 4.2.8 -> Jailbroken iOS 5.0.1 on Verizon iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by daviolinist12, Jan 7, 2012.

1. daviolinist12 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

First of all, I'd like to say that this community really does seem like a great community. I've learned a lot from all of the different threads. I do have a question though and haven't found a definitive answer in my searching.

Currently I have a Verizon iPhone 4 on iOS 4.2.8; the phone is currently jailbroken.

Since the Untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5 on iPhone 4 is now available, I would like to upgrade to iOS 5 and jailbreak it.

What is the best way to upgrade? Do I need to restore, then upgrade, then jailbreak? Or just upgrade and jailbreak. I understand that if I just upgrade, I will lose all of my jailbroken apps and settings.

I'm trying to avoid losing all of my texts, settings, etc.

As far as I know, if I restore to iOS 5, I won't be able to get any of my texts and stuff back?

I'm mostly confused on restoring a backup.. will that restore just the texts, contacts, pictures, settings, etc. or will it restore the iOS and revert back to the old one.

I thank everyone in advance for their help!

Regards,
    Avish

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i have a VIP4 JB on 4.2.8 as well. no way i would upgrade to 5.x

we have the most stable jailbreak there is.

can i ask why you wanna go thru that hassle for 5.x?

3. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Tell em' snagwell....

4. daviolinist12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I like the new features in iOS 5; iMessage, Notification Center, faster Safari, Twitter, PC Free.

Is the untethered jailbreak for ios 5 not stable?

I don't really mind if it will take time to upgrade - that's not the problem. I just want to make sure I do it the right way.

Why would you not upgrade to iOS 5?

5. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

let me put it this way. i sold my VIP4 jb on 4.2.8, and bought the 4S. the 4S just sits on my desk now.

with fakeclockup, you can have a faster safari. and the notifications in 5.x suck i believe.

just know that some/most of your jb tweaks might not work in 5.x as most of those ones dont get updated anymore...those devs stopped.

i regretted it. so i bought the same phone i had two days ago on CL. and im back in heaven.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

daviolinist12:

I just did this exact same upgrade for my girlfriend last weekend - it's very easy. Just follow the appropriate tutorial on iclarified and you should be fine. First of all, use pkgbackup to backup all of your jb apps. Then do a fresh backup in itunes and update to 5.0.1 via itunes. Then jb with the newest version of redsn0w. I don't recall if I had to restore from backup after that but if you do, that will bring back all of your settings, text messages, etc. - you won't lose anything and that doesn't erase your jb. Restoring from backup does not put a new version of the OS on your phone. Once you're jailbroken and you have all of your "stock" apps and settings on your phone, install pkgbackup and run a restore within pkgbackup to restore all of your jb apps and settings.

The only thing I would tell you to do first though is to check and make sure that any "essential" jb apps you use have been updated to work on 5.0.1.

7. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

For me, untethered iPhone 4 iOS 5.0.1 > untethered iPhone 4 iOS 4.2.8 imo.

It is identically as stable, and has some hacks that are not available in iOS 4. I especially enjoy the new Notification Center, as I never liked the way SBSettings seemed like a clunky aftermarket feature. NC is far more Apple like, and, well just pretty. And double click home for camera on lockscreen is the way any iPhone should act always.

As for doing a 4s no jailbreak iOS 5, the stock NC really is pretty sucky and I'd definitely stay jb 4.2.8 then.
    I went from 4.2.8 to 5.0 and did not lose any info or settings on my phone. You shouldn't either, as long as you back up, restore, backup, then do the update, then the jailbreak over 5.0.1.

I mean it, my Notification Center kid beat up your SBSettings honor roll student. And it will be growing bigger with even cooler addons, I'm sure..:p

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I agree with you but NC and SBSettings serve two completely different purposes. I have SBSettings set to show up within NC, but having NC doesn't mean you don't need SBSettings anymore. SBSettings definitely serves a useful purpose under ios5.

9. daviolinist12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for all of your help! - especially psywzrd!

I'm going to follow the tutorial on iClarified to update, and i'll use pkgbackup before I do the final backup. Then I'll restore to iOS 5, jailbreak it, and then restore the backup, and then install pkgbackup and restore the jailbroken apps.

Sounds like a plan!

Going to go see Mission Impossible in theaters and then i'll come back and begin this - i'll let you guys know how it goes, thanks again!

10. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i truly hope your happy with the upgrade...def wanna hear from you in a week and know your feelings. hope it goes smooth.

11. thecomputerguy macrumors newbie

I agree with psywzrd about SB having it's place in addition to NC, I have another question for psywzrd though, you stated "Just follow the appropriate tutorial on iclarified" but something isn't going just right for me at this time, I can't use the current file Apple is dishing out by default, they want to put 5.1 on my phone and I want to put 5.0.1 on it. I'm in a pickle now because even with modifying the hosts file with tinyumbrella and either leaving it running or shutting it down, I still get an error when trying to select the 5.0.1 firmware. It proceeds the longest when the hosts file points gs.apple.com to Cydia but still errrors out with 1600 or something. I tried to make a custom firmware but don't care about my baseband (just want to be on 5.0.1 for the new stuff) but red snow said "Wrong IPSW type, this option can be used only for iPhone3GS or iPhone4 IPSWs." I've used the one from iClarified and another one I from iJailbreak.com and neither one will go custom in redsn0w 0.9.10b4 which I also got tonight.

I am able to still use my phone after these attempts by "breaking" DFU mode, if you hold both buttons for about 6 seconds while plugged in (computer will make the connection / disconnection sound) and letting go of the buttons, my phone woke up like nothing had happened (thank god!!). I would still like to be able to install 5.0.1 and not 5.1 (unless someone knows of the unteathered JB for it) Any suggestions would be fantastic.