Jailbroken iOS6 -> iOS8 upgrade OK?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by globalist, Jun 3, 2015.

1. globalist macrumors 6502a

Hi,

the list of apps/app updates no longer supporting iOS6 has reached a critical mass for my wife (I'm still holding out on ios 6 though! the last spartan!) and so she wants me to upgrade her jailbroken iPhone 5 to the latest iOS8.

So I have a few questions:

1) Will I be able to upgrade her phone on my installation of iTunes 10.7 (yes I'm holding out on this front as well! I'm spartan like that) Or should I just do it OTA?

2) Does the upgrade go straight from 6 to the latest 8 (whatever the point release is)? How much free space from a 16GB phone does it need?

3) Is there a jailbreak for the latest iOS8 yet?

4) Are there any other risks involved, excepting the fact she no longer will be able to sync her phone to my 10.7 itunes? (i read somewhere that you need at least itunes 11 to sync ios 7 and above devices?)

Many thanks!

2. HenryLong macrumors 6502

HenryLong

1) iTunes 10.7 will not do it. You need to have at least iTunes 11.4 to handle iOS 8.
    Also you can't update an iOS firmware OTA on a jailbroken device.
    2) You can't update the firmware on a jailbroken device.
    In iTunes choose restore to go to the latest firmware.
    3) There's no jailbreak for the currently signed iOS 8.3. Also no way to restore to iOS 8.1.2 in order to jailbreak.
    4) Besides losing the jailbreak there's no other risk from going to iOS 8.3.

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

As far as I know, there isn't a jailbreak for the latest iOS 8.3. The last was for iOS 8.1.2, but that's no longer signed by Apple.

I'm still jailbroken on iOS 8.1 on my 5s. Will hold out until iOS 9 :)

4. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

Regarding point 1, do you mean I cannot even initiate the upgrade from my itunes 10.7? I am making sure this is the case because when the phone is connected to my PC itunes tells me theres an update (8.1.1) available for it... do you mean the update will fail if I click the Update button?

Regarding point 2, how exactly does it relate to point 1? Do you mean even if the device is jailbroken, I can use my itunes 10.7 to "restore" it to ios8?

Thanks for your clarifications!

5. HenryLong macrumors 6502

HenryLong

When your device is jailbroken you can't use the 'update' function in iTunes. The only way to update is to use the the 'restore to latest firmware' option.
    Apple introduced support for iOS 8 with iTunes 11.4. IIRC I was forced to update iTunes prior to going from iOS 7 to iOS 8. Nevertheless, once you decided to do the upgrade just give it a try with 10.7. Worst thing happen is that iTunes tells you to update it before continuing.
    btw.: If you want to keep your data and settings remember to make a backup of your device before updating.

6. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe a dumb question, but why can't I use it? Thx!

7. HenryLong macrumors 6502

HenryLong

The jailbreak re-arranges iOS system files. Since an update requires the system files to be in default order the only way is to restore which completely sets up the system from scratch.

8. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

One thing though - if I do restore the phone on my 10.7 itunes and the update goes through, I guess I'll be screwed seeing as it won't be able to sync the backup, the phone being on ios8 and the itunes still being 10.7?

So is there really no way to upgrade my wifes phone while keeping her existing settings and data?

9. HenryLong macrumors 6502

HenryLong

Well, that's likely to happen. And you're probably not only unable to restore the backup but won't be able to sync the device with your iTunes at all.
    At the end it's your decision whether to update (both, her iDevice and your iTunes) to make use of all the up-to-date features or live with the limitations of an outdated firm-/software. If your wife already suffers from the limitations of the outdated firmware it's time to bite the bullet. If you want to keep 10.7 just convince her that your loss of 10.7 would rank higher than her limitation not to be able to run all the new apps on her device ;)

10. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe a solution is to first set her phone to back up to icloud (instead of itunes), then back it up, then perform the restore in itunes?

11. HenryLong macrumors 6502

HenryLong

Restoring the device firmware will swipe all data and settings. Restoring from back-up (to regain data and settings) has to be carried out after restoring the device. This is for a back-up from iTunes as well as from iCloud. While restoring a back-up from iCloud is only possible in the course of the set-up process you can restore a back-up from iTunes at any time later as well.

12. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it sounds like this is the way to go - set icloud backup, then restore in itunes, then during set up use restore from icloud?

And when restoring in itunes, I reckon I should choose Restore as new?

I've had my fair share of restore/jailbreak issues in the past with my various devices so I'm extra cautious when it comes to this stuff...

Thanks!

13. HenryLong macrumors 6502

HenryLong

Course of action:
    1) Backup the iPhone to iCloud
    2) Connect the iPhone to iTunes and choose 'Restore iPhone' (it's the button to the right of 'Update')
    Completion may take some time as iTunes will have to download the current IPSW.
    Once completed your iPhone will show the initial greeting screen and iTunes will ask you to set-up the device.
    3) During the setup process iTunes will ask you to either set-up as new or set-up from backup. Continue with set-up from backup and then choose the latest iCloud backup.

Sidenote: If you have themed the iPhone (through WinterBoard for icons and/or status bar ; Alkaline for battery ; custom font through BytaFont) reset those to default before starting the backup. Some of the themed elements may be carried over with the backup, i.e may re-appear and can not be reset while having no jailbreak.

14. lexdiamonnyc macrumors member

15. globalist thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why?

16. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

It breaks my heart to read of another iOS6 firmware iPhone biting the dust! I can't lie: A weeped a little.

17. Jada0525, Jun 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2015

Jada0525 macrumors newbie