Jailbroken iPhone 3GS. No Service. What should I do with it?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ktkilo, Jun 13, 2012.

1. ktkilo macrumors newbie

I have my old 3GS that I've been using as an iPod. I have it on 4.0.1 (8A306). It is jailbroken, unlocked, and has Cydia installed. I'm going to put my GV number on it. I don't like playing games, but I'm interested into what I can do with this thing! Help me out guys, give me some ideas!

2. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

You can download songs to it and play them back later!

3. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

4. ktkilo thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already been doing this.

Spiderwebbed glass.

5. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Paperweight.

6. ktkilo thread starter macrumors newbie

WTH??? It still works, and even has a screen protector, keeping my fingers away from the glass. It's still functional and I was just trying to find a way to repurpose it. Geez.

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

relax TS a little sense of humor their! ;) you can sell it on Ebay as is but describe it accurately or it might come back to bite you. thre are kits you buy for 20-30 on ebay to repair it. There are also iphone repair centers that will fix it for about 60 bucks at least by me. I recently found my daughters ipod I replaced because she thought she lost it. I am now using it I downloaded all my spotify music and I play off the ipod to avoid extra streaming charges, Since at made my unlimited plan 3gb! :(

8. ktkilo, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

ktkilo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for the advice but the point of this thread isn't that I need it repaired or want to sell it, It's the fact that I don't have phone service on it, and want to know how I should repurpose it.

I remember seeing somewhere that someone had an Android they didn't need and turned it into a mobile hack and Network Diagnosis. They had apps that could deny others wi-fi, packet sniffers, apps to ping other computers, etc. Wondered what I should do with this iPhone

9. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

10. labman macrumors 604

labman

I was going to say sell it and get the android! what is it with newbs and attitudes lately..

11. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Cornhole

Seriously though. I'd replace the screen. Like labman said, $30 or so and you can have a perfectly working phone. There are step by step YouTube videos to help. I did it on my 3GS.

Labman, great idea to stream the music! I've been killing my data plan lately streaming music on my commute. I'll have to look into that solution. I have no clue how to do it but I'm sure there are plenty of articles on that subject. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: I hate how on the mobile version of the forum, the blue "Done" button is lined up perfectly with the "Submit" button. I'm always having to edit my posts!

12. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

That's why I use the full version of the site on the iPhone... Most sites, actually.

13. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

Yea I think you and I have had this discussion before in the past. Maybe I'll have to start using the desktop version. Thanks dolphin browser for making that switch so easy! I'll try it out and see how it goes.