Jailbroken iPhone 3GS Won't Restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Favenris, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Favenris macrumors member

I have an iPhone 3GS iOS 4.3.4 that is jailbroken using redsn0w_mac_0.9.8b3. When I go to iTunes and try to restore it (I want iOS 5) the following message appears:

[​IMG]

I went to TinyUmbrella and unchecked "Set Hosts to Cydia"

[​IMG]

I went to the folder "etc" used TextEdit to edit the file "hosts" to the following:

[​IMG]

I still receive this message:

[​IMG]

Can anybody help me?

2. Favenris thread starter macrumors member

Anybody? Anybody at all? Surely I'm not the only person with a jailbroken iPhone 3GS that has gotten into this problem. I'm never jail breaking after this. Way too much trouble.

EDIT: I've seen this web paged linked all over the web: http://lastplaceonthe.net/fix-device-isnt-eligible-requested-build/

I followed all the instructions, and it still isn't working.

"In most cases, it’ll be the second option. As a quick test on the machine where you’re trying to do a restore put the following into a web browser http://gs.apple.com If an Apple 404 page (page not found) is displayed then you should be good to restore and therefore you should re-download the required firmware, reboot both your computer and the iPhone and try again. If an index page is displayed (like displayed below) then it means you’ve got entries in your host file you need to remove."

"an Apple 404 page (page not found) is displayed then you should be good to restore and therefore you should re-download the required firmware, reboot both your computer and the iPhone and try again."

An Apple 404 page is displayed, so I should "be good to restore" but what does the author mean when he said, "re-download the required firmware"?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. Favenris thread starter macrumors member

So, does that mean that I can restore my iPhone 3GS on a different computer and it won't tell me "This device isn't eligible for the requested build."?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can restore your iphone using any computer.
    Then restore from the backup on your computers itunes and sync all your stuff back.

6. Favenris thread starter macrumors member

I just finished trying that, it didn't work. It still said "this iPhone isn't eligible for the requested build." Can someone please help? Am I stuck on iOS 4 forever?

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Put your phone in DFU mode first, Itunes should be able to allow you to restore.