Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Favenris

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Portland, OR
I have an iPhone 3GS iOS 4.3.4 that is jailbroken using redsn0w_mac_0.9.8b3. When I go to iTunes and try to restore it (I want iOS 5) the following message appears:

Screen%2BShot%2B2011-10-22%2Bat%2B3.41.20%2BPM.png

I went to TinyUmbrella and unchecked "Set Hosts to Cydia"

Screen%2BShot%2B2011-10-22%2Bat%2B3.43.30%2BPM.png

I went to the folder "etc" used TextEdit to edit the file "hosts" to the following:

Screen%2BShot%2B2011-10-22%2Bat%2B3.54.12%2BPM.png

I still receive this message:

Screen%2BShot%2B2011-10-22%2Bat%2B3.41.20%2BPM.png

Can anybody help me?

Favenris

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Portland, OR
Anybody? Anybody at all? Surely I'm not the only person with a jailbroken iPhone 3GS that has gotten into this problem. I'm never jail breaking after this. Way too much trouble.

EDIT: I've seen this web paged linked all over the web: http://lastplaceonthe.net/fix-device-isnt-eligible-requested-build/

I followed all the instructions, and it still isn't working.

"In most cases, it’ll be the second option. As a quick test on the machine where you’re trying to do a restore put the following into a web browser http://gs.apple.com If an Apple 404 page (page not found) is displayed then you should be good to restore and therefore you should re-download the required firmware, reboot both your computer and the iPhone and try again. If an index page is displayed (like displayed below) then it means you’ve got entries in your host file you need to remove."

"an Apple 404 page (page not found) is displayed then you should be good to restore and therefore you should re-download the required firmware, reboot both your computer and the iPhone and try again."

An Apple 404 page is displayed, so I should "be good to restore" but what does the author mean when he said, "re-download the required firmware"?

Favenris

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Portland, OR
Yes, you can restore your iphone using any computer.
Then restore from the backup on your computers itunes and sync all your stuff back.

I just finished trying that, it didn't work. It still said "this iPhone isn't eligible for the requested build." Can someone please help? Am I stuck on iOS 4 forever?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.