Jailbroken iPhone 4 - Accidentally deleted built-in Apps

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Flash676, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Flash676 macrumors newbie

I have a jailbroken 4.0.1 iPhone 4. Long story (don't ask), but I managed to delete all the built-in apps the iPhone comes with, so my iPhone is just a blank wallpaper with an empty dock and icons for app store apps. It is still responsive, the app store apps run fine, and I can still access the phone via SSH or iPhoneBrowser/Explorer. The phone is, for all intents and purposes, fine except for the lack of all the built-in apps.

I'd like to restore the firmware back to 4.0.1 so I can re-jailbreak but cannot because my SHSH blobs were not stored.

Is there anyway to either:
    1)Get the original built-in apps back, or preferably
    2)Restore to firmware 4.0.1 and re-jailbreak. I can't restore via iTunes, but is it possible to reinstall 4.0.1 by bypassing the iTunes check? The phone is still jailbroken.

Thanks for any assistance in this matter.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Without hashes, you cannot restore to 4.0.1

Core apps should never be tampered with as you now know, unless you have a clear understanding of exactly what you are doing. :eek:

And never delete anything off your phone before backing it up. :eek:

3. Flash676 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I said long story, I meant it:rolleyes:.

The phone was backed up in iTunes, but that help me at all.

I'm going to assume that there aren't any apps for a jailbroken phone that will let me restore to older firmware.

Damn it all...thanks, anyway.

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Same rules for stock or jailbroken iPhones (except for 3G which can be restored pretty easily) no hashes, no restore to 4.0.1

5. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

If your iPhone is still jailbroken at 4.0.1, then use Tiny Umbrella to save your SHSH hashes to Cydia. As long as you haven't updated to 4.0.2 through Apple, you can still get your SHSH hashes stored on Cydia. Once Cydia has them, find and download 4.0.1 firmware for your particular model (Google). Make sure that you download the appropriate firmware. There are different firmwares for different iPhone models. Now restore your iPhone using the 4.0.1 firmware. Do a (Google) search for the specific directions to downgrade firmware using Cydia. You'll need to alter your HOSTS file, which is a hidden file on OSX. iClarified or this forum are good sources for either Windows or Mac users. When you complete the restore, you'll be at an un-jailbroken 4.0.1 and can then use jailbreakme.com to re-jailbreak your iPhone. You should also know that when you try to restore to 4.0.1, all will seem to go well but at the end you'll get an error message and the iPhone may be stuck in the Restore mode. You can use RecBoot 1.0.2 to kick your iPhone out of this mode and reboot. It's a free download. Good luck.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It is too late to store 4.0.1 hashes, if you haven't saved them before Aug 17th, you can no longer get them.

If you try and restore, you will end up on 4.0.2 and cannot jailbreak, but your core apps will all be back (if you choose set up as new)

7. Flash676 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried this. Cydia only has my SHSH hash for 4.0.2 because I jailbroke after Apple stopped signing 4.0.1.

The strange thing is that if I set my device to 3GS in TinyUmbrella it will successfully save the SHSH for 4.0.1 and 4.0.

8. Cinemagic macrumors 6502

Yes, you are right. My bad.

9. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Did you previously use 3GS with Tinyumbrella on that computer?

10. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

How did you deleted the apps? SSH,iFile, diskaid? Do you remember the specific erased path(address) or did you went hogwild and erased a whole lot of folders and paths? If you search for them in spotlight are they there?

11. Flash676 thread starter macrumors newbie

SSH. I don't recall the exact path, but it couldn't have been more than one folder that was erased. Spotlight search doesn't give me anything.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Do you have a signal? Can you answer a call? If not is better to just vanilla restore to new 4.0.2
    You could try this:
    Can you go to the settings app and go to general>reset>Reset he whole phone (it will erase everything and it might bring them back...
    What I was thinking is maybe find another iphone4 jb w/ same firmware and just copy the missing folder and hen reboot. You could also you can try to find them on a 4.0.1 firmware package and shh and see if that might work. You can't screw it more than now, if anything you can just install fresh vanilla ios 4.0.2 and wait for the jb

13. Flash676 thread starter macrumors newbie

There was no settings app. The only ones left were purchased from the app store.

I already restored to 4.0.2. I couldn't justify going without a phone while I tried to sort things out, especially given the very real possibility that nothing could be done.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Hope you and a few others that were asking about deleting stock apps learn something from this.
    DO NOT mess with native iphone apps. If they bother you that much put them away inside a folder on the last page or hide/dock them thru sbsettings.

15. NickkyJ macrumors regular

Why do people tamper with the iphone apps that come with the phone? May sound like a stupid question but im sure their is a legit reason why they do so

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They dont like them or never use them.
    Like Stocks, notes and other stuff that people dont use or like to see at all I guess.

17. Flash676 thread starter macrumors newbie

It wasn't intentional.

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

hence the accidental deleting at the start of the thread. :p It does amaze me all this accidental stuff people do. I never accidentally upgraded firmware or needed apps. but I feel for you. hopefully the new firmware will be released Wednesday (time will tell) and next jailbreak is expected soon after. Again have to wait and see..

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I accidentally cut my laptop in half with a chainsaw:D

20. NickkyJ macrumors regular

21. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Hahaha. Pic or it didn't happen.

So many accident prone people around here I'm scared it might start rubbing off..

22. barefootgirl123 macrumors newbie

My question is, how the heck did you delete built in apps? i would love to (intentionally) delete some of the useless ones and free up my phone more. (Providing i could pick and choose which to delete of course.)

23. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

thread from 2010.

use sbsettings (free) or springtomize (paid, but WELL WORTH IT) and you can hide unused apps (since deleting them is not a good idea)...