Jailbroken iPhone 4 hangs at Apple Logo on startup

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Markish, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Markish macrumors newbie

Ok my iPhone 4 is frozen at the Apple Logo. It is jailbroken.

I have 4.0.1 on my iPhone and I can get it into DFU mode but to restore it iTunes is telling me I have to restore and update to the newest iphone software 4.0.2.

I want to sell this iPhone but if I upgrade to 4.0.2 I lose a lot of the phones price value in my opinion. The 4.0.2 software patches the safari jail break exploit which has made it so simple to jail break and unlock the phone.

Is there anyway to restore the phone without iTunes forcing me to upgrade to the newest iPhone software?

2. MrZoidberg macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. Did you already found a solution?

3. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

From what I've heard Apple is still signing 4.0.1 so you can download 4.0.1 from somewhere else if you don't have it and restore that.

4. Astin macrumors regular

If you have the 4.0.1 firmware file, hold shift while clicking "Restore" on iTunes. Instead of automatically restoring to the newest version, it'll bring up a "select file" box, point it to the 4.0.1 firmware and voila.

5. aheart88 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

My problem was exactly same. But i restored to 4.0.2.

Pls help me find the firmware 4.0.1 file as i need to unlock it to all carriers.

6. Astin macrumors regular

7. aheart88 macrumors newbie

8. Astin macrumors regular

You'll need to do a complete restore.

Plug your phone into your PC by USB

Turn off the phone

Read these steps before you do them - you need to know what to do next as they happen fast:

1. Hold the power button until you see the Apple logo
    2. When the Apple logo appears, still hold the power button, but also hold the Home button
    3. Count to 10, when you hit 10, release the power button, but continue holding the Home button

After another 10-20 seconds, your phone will enter "DFU" mode, which is basically restore mode. It'll ask you to plug the phone into iTunes with USB. iTunes will recognize the phone in restore mode, and ask you to restore it. Select the 4.0.1 FW as I posted above and you should be good to go.

9. aheart88 macrumors newbie

It is giving me an error while installing.. what to do?

10. Astin macrumors regular

Need to be more specific, what error is it giving?

11. aheart88 macrumors newbie

right after it says verifiying from apple, it gives error 3014

12. aheart88 macrumors newbie

Thanks BUddy

I have managed to somehow install it by going into recovery mode and then redoing it.

Also had to turn off all frewalls and stuff... maybe that was the issue

Now need some help with unlocking.

Phone is already jailbroken now but in UAE cant access to ultrasnow servers. So cant unlock? :((

13. Astin macrumors regular

Sorry, but jailbreaking is as far as I've gone on iPhones before. I have no knowledge of unlocking and troubleshooting unlock errors.

14. evanavevan macrumors member

evanavevan

sounds like Apple isn't signing the restore anymore (I think that causes the 30xx error). if they aren't since 4.0.2 is out, you MUST have SHSH blobs on file in order to restore back to 4.0.1. If you do have SHSHs on file, there are two ways to do it, one is to point itunes towards Cydia's server by editing your host file and the other (easier) is to use TinyUmbrella, which does the same thing but locally on your computer. TinyUmbrella will start a server and itunes will think it's contacting apple and it will get permission to do the restore

15. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

if you guys get stuck at the recovery screen after downgrading remember to download the latest version of Tinyumbrella to kick it out of recovery!! ;)

16. jcjacinto macrumors newbie

How did you restore to 4.0.2? My jailbroken iphone 4 get stock to maybe 75% of installation when trying to restore to 4.0.2 and nothing is happening. it looks like it hangs. Does this takes a long time to complete the restore? There is no error code though.

thx..

joel