Jailbroken iPhone 4s wont upgrade to iOS 5.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ogremoustro, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

So my iPhone 4s is jailbroken and I want to update to 5.1. I dont care if it removes my jailbreak. I've been trying to update but every time I get, "This device isn't eligible for requested build." I've tried putting my iPhone into DFU mode and restoring but it still doesn't work.
    Oh and I've also tried update straight from my phone but I receive the following message:" An error occurred downloading iOS 5.1."
    Anybody know what to do?

2. applejooce macrumors newbie

I used to be on 5.0.1 but decided to upgrade to 5.1, so I installed iTunes 10.6 plugged my phone in and did a restore, then updated to the new software. No problems here.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Check your hosts file for any references to gs.apple.com and remove them (Google how), then restart your computer and restore via DFU mode. If this doesn't work, try another computer.

4. ogremoustro thread starter macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Alright, I'll try right now.

5. ogremoustro thread starter macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

Thank you so much! It worked!

6. smarty1972 macrumors newbie

iphone 4s update

Hi,
    As a first time poster i would just like to say thanks for this info, i have just sold my 4s on and was asked to update it and remove the jailbreak. Had started to think i had no chance of doing it then found this.

Thanks again.

7. Eircompaul macrumors newbie

Host file?

Sorry guys, I was always an android person.

What's the host file and where do I find it.

Basically I have an IPhone 3GS jailbroken. My girlfriend updated it and now it wont sync or recognise Itunes to activate it once again.

Anyone got any ideas?? Need some help and would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Paul.