Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quadchick10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
For the first time, I dropped my iphone 6s and the screen is shattered. The phone is jailbroken and I am try to decide to take it to Apple Store and pay the $129.00 or take it to iFitit and pay the $199.00. Has anyone had any problems with iFixit? I would rather had Apple replace the screen, but there is that small problem of my jailbreak.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
For the first time, I dropped my iphone 6s and the screen is shattered. The phone is jailbroken and I am try to decide to take it to Apple Store and pay the $129.00 or take it to iFitit and pay the $199.00. Has anyone had any problems with iFixit? I would rather had Apple replace the screen, but there is that small problem of my jailbreak.
Apple won't deny you a repair because of your jailbreak (not any more).

They might ask you to restore.

Given the current issues with Apple and error 53 I would hesitate to have a third party repair.

What you could do is boot your phone into Safe Mode and hide all your JB apps (including Cydia) in a folder. Just don't mention that you're jailbroken.

Or you could use iCleaner to shut down all the tweaks, hide the apps in a folder and go from there. That would allow a reboot that makes you look stock. Later just re-enable all the tweaks.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011

Given the current issues with Apple and error 53 I would hesitate to have a third party repair.

What you could do is boot your phone into Safe Mode and hide all your JB apps (including Cydia) in a folder. Just don't mention that you're jailbroken.

Or you could use iCleaner to shut down all the tweaks, hide the apps in a folder and go from there. That would allow a reboot that makes you look stock. Later just re-enable all the tweaks.

Take this advice. Also if they ask you to restore say you will do it at home.

Best of luck

quadchick10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010

Thank you for the suggestion. I really don't understand putting the phone into Safe Mode, I will go into the Apple Store after work and hopefully have them replace the screen without restoring. If I am asked to restore, I will just decline and take it to a third party. How bad could it be?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Safe Mode disables all tweaks. Which can then have your phone acting like stock. It won't pass a rigorous examination but a cursory overview might be ok.

To get into Safe Mode you hold down Volume Up when the phone is booting.

As to third party…well Error 53 applies to third party repairs. Currently, anyone who has had a third party repair that affected the Touch ID button (including screen repairs) and then updated later on has found that their device has been locked and bricked by Apple.

So, depending on how ok you are with an expensive device being turned into a useless piece of metal and glass it could be totally ok or the worst thing to have ever happened to you.

quadchick10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Safe Mode disables all tweaks. Which can then have your phone acting like stock. It won't pass a rigorous examination but a cursory overview might be ok.

To get into Safe Mode you hold down Volume Up when the phone is booting.

As to third party…well Error 53 applies to third party repairs. Currently, anyone who has had a third party repair that affected the Touch ID button (including screen repairs) and then updated later on has found that their device has been locked and bricked by Apple.

So, depending on how ok you are with an expensive device being turned into a useless piece of metal and glass it could be totally ok or the worst thing to have ever happened to you.

Wow! Thank you so much for the info. I just Googled "Error 53" and was shocked. I have a 3D Touch tweak addon to the Settings App and when I put it in Safe Mode, at the top of the screen it says, "Exit Safe Mode". How do I get rid of that?

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow! Thank you so much for the info. I just Googled "Error 53" and was shocked. I have a 3D Touch tweak addon to the Settings App and when I put it in Safe Mode, at the top of the screen it says, "Exit Safe Mode". How do I get rid of that?
Boot into Safe Mode as I mentioned, versus going to after having booted.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Does it look heavily modded theme wise?
If not just remove a few addons that stick out and put cydia inside a folder.
They wont even check, they'll just take your money and replace the screen.

quadchick10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Does it look heavily modded theme wise?
If not just remove a few addons that stick out and put cydia inside a folder.
They wont even check, they'll just take your money and replace the screen.
I put it in safe mode and hid my Cydia folder. The phone looked stock (normal yuck!) It was only $136.00. Funny...when the "Apple Genius" handed me my iphone 6S the phone was visibly jailbroken. I guess after they restarted it after replacing the screen, the tweaks and themes showed bakck up. No worries, I was just thrilled they didn't restore the phone. I am hooked on jailbreaking. I love it! Thank you everyone for suggesting that I put the phone in Safe Mode.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Glad it all worked out!

They would have had to shut down the phone to make the repair and then boot it up to make sure it was working.

That was why I suggested later on disabling tweaks via iCleaner.

But hey, you got no hassle, the phone wasn't restored and it all worked out.

Good to hear!

Reactions: quadchick10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.