Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flamechick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
I got a used JB iPhone for Christmas last year. I believe it is an original first generation iPhone, which I don't know what you'd call it, I'm not savy on that. But anyway, I havent done much to it as far as downloading apps. I can only download very few apps from the app store as most of the require the 4.0 update (it tells me something like that when I go to download, and its says no)
I am using it on Tmobile, and have the internet working, so generally the phone is good. My husband keeps bugging me to get a new phone, an android, but I just don't want to, I feel it would be a waste of money since we r always broke. I would really like to keep my iPhone, and if I can figure out how to fix a couple of things that bug me. like the ringer, I can only hear the cricket ring tone, everything else is so quiet I can never hear it ring.. and the inability to download newer apps.
is there anyway for me to "fix" these 2 "problems"?
and if there are fixes, are they something that I would be able to figure out, or would I just crash and burn my phone?

Thanks for reading

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You can't update the 2g (1st gen) iPhone to ios4. So your stick there!

As for the ring tone issue the 2g had a very quiet speaker. There was a cydia hack that allowed you to turn it up a little more but it was so long ago I can't remember the name of the app

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
honestly I think it's time for a new phone I love my iPhone but comparing the original to what's out there. Well I think it's time to retire. I know your on a budget but you can get plenty of good phones with little or no out of pocket. Also it might not be worth jb and unlocking for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.