Jailbroken iPhone with Dev Profile

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by xArtx, May 29, 2013.

1. xArtx macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys,
    Before getting into programming I had some fun with jailbreaking.

The only time I've seen a low memory warning for a serious "non-experimental"
    version of an app of mine is on the jailbroken device, and now it occurs to me
    that any of these jb programs could not only be running in the background,
    but could also consume any amount of memory, and/or leak memory.

This should have already been evident because some legit App Store apps
    didn't launch until I killed some programs to free their memory.

So I'm guessing it's generally a no-no to have a jailbroken phone for debugging?
    It seems so obvious now.
    My main phone is an iphone 5, and the one in question is a 4S.
    I don't want to give up the emulators, so I think my best bet is to get
    an iPhone 4 which is even slower for app debugging.
    Art.

2. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

Indeed jailbroken devices will behave differently. You might want to erase and restore your jailbroken device as a non-jailbroken device for testing.

You should have a range of devices for testing, from the slowest/most memory starved device you support to the fastest, and also devices with different screen sizes.

You might want to think about picking up a used 3GS on ebay.

We got a 5th generation iPod touch to be our 4" retina device. It's a little different than an iPhone 5, but it at least represents the unique screen size.

An iPhone 4 is a single-core device, so if you're doing multi-threaded development it will not get the same concurrency benefits as a 4S or a 5. Same goes for the original iPad, although those don't have a camera, nor will they run iOS 6, so you might safely ignore the first iPad.

The 3rd gen iPad has 4 times as many pixels as the iPad 2, but only twice as much memory. Thus, it's actually memory-starved for graphics intensive applications. (A retina iPad has more pixels than a non retina 15" MBP, and a lot less comping power drive all those pixels)

An iPad mini is basically a shrunk-down iPad 2. You can safely treat is as an iPad 2 and ignore it.

I understand that the 4th gen iPad has 4 times as much memory as the iPad 2, so it's back in the realm of reasonable memory for the screen size. The 4th gen also has a newer, higher performance processor, and (if I remember correctly) 4 cores.

3. truehybridx macrumors member

Ive had no problems debugging, except this one time but it happened with both jb and nonjb phones.

Theres nothing wrong with it except maybe a bloated springboard from tweaks and stuff you may have installed but those can be removed or turned off.

Before wiping everything try booting up with tweaks disabled and try debugging then (since well, once you restore, who knows when you'll be free again :( )

4. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Nope, it only has 1GB RAM, unfortunately. (And dual cores.) See e.g. http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPad...chip-runs-at-1.4GHz-1GB-of-RAM-inside_id36097

5. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C