Jailbroken iPod, but nothing happened?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Tomeron, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Tomeron macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

So today I decided to upgrade my iPod Touch 2G from 3.0 to 3.1.3, because lots of applications I downloaded wouldn't run on 3.0
    After about 2 hours of messing around with this (redsn0w kept crashing, my ipod bricked, etc etc) I eventually managed to jailbreak my iPod (using redsn0w 0.9.4). And yes, I'm pretty sure I did everything right (and I have Cydia on my iPod now, so I guess it's fine).

The thing is, I can't sync applications from my computer now (gives an error when I try to)
    Is it supposed to be like that?
    When I was on 3.0, I just downloaded apps on my macbook and synced them through iTunes. But now when I try to do that, it gives me an error.
    Is this ok, meaning is the only way to download apps is using Cydia, or did I do something wrong?

I hope I don't have to use Cydia, I never liked it. Never got that whole packages thing. Installous/apptrackr worked much better :p

Thanks for all the helpers.

EDIT:

Alright, so I downloaded Installous using Cydia and now I can download apps on my iPod.
    But, I still can't install applications from my computer. Anyone knows why?

EDIT 2:

Never mind, apparently I had to download AppSync so I could install .ipa's from my mac.

SOLVED

2. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

So you're not having issues syncing the apps you legally bought, only the ones you pirated, right?

3. Tomeron thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I didn't buy any apps at all (but I don't have a lot of apps)

Although, I do have three free apps - Skype, Facebook and Files, and they synced perfectly (so it's not some iTunes problem or whatever)

EDIT:

Never mind, apparently I had to download AppSync so I could install .ipa's from my mac.

SOLVED

4. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

Which makes sense.... since you got Facebook and Skype for free, legally, through the App store, you won't have any problems syncing. But since you pirated your other apps, you're going to have problems until you find the way to allow apps that you didn't legally purchase to sync to your device.

So it's not a matter of needing AppSync to install ipa's from your Mac, it's a matter of needing AppSync to install pirated ipa's that you obtained illegally from your Mac.

5. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

That's like saying Bittorent is evil because you COULD use it to download warez.

I use appsync to create games and release to friends. I can email the app to my friends without them having to go through the app store.