jailbroken/locked...how to restore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aweeeezy, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Aweeeezy macrumors newbie

i have an iphone 3gs that i jailbroken and ignorantly installed the ios4 update and now my broadband has been locked...I'd like to restore my phone and get it back to its normal, non-jailbroken status but im not sure the right way to do so.

i backed up my phone to itunes a long time ago before it was jailbroken...should i just restore and install the new update and everything will be good? will backing up the phone at this point in time and trying to restore not fix the phone?

if backing it up now and then restoring will fix my phone AND keep all the data i have on it currently, then thats what id like to do.

if backing it up now and restoring it will not fix my broadband lock, then i'd rather restore it to my several month old back up.

also, im not even sure if doing either of these will fix my problem...if thats the case, i'll just not mess with it...

thanks for any advice
    -alex

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Yep, I'd say back it up, then do a DFU restore:

1. Plug in your phone and open itunes
    2. Press and hold power + home for 10 seconds exactly
    3. Let go of the power button and continue holding home for 10 seconds and itunes will see an iphone in recovery mode. Your screen will be black.
    4. Restore in itunes as normal.
    5. Set up the phone from your backup.

I'm assuming you meant baseband, and not broadband, right? That definitely was updated when you loaded iOS4 onto your 3GS. Then if you want to be jailbroken, go to jailbreakme.com and you're good to go.

3. playthegame macrumors newbie

You don't have to do all that bs.... simply plug the phone into iTunes and hit restore. No need to do the other crap ^ is saying

4. MCRunning macrumors 6502

Exactly, you don't need to put it in DFU mode

5. Aweeeezy thread starter macrumors newbie

is it a bad idea to back my phone up before i restore it?

just to clarify, the backup i currently have on itunes is very out of date, but not jailbroken...id like to not lose any data on my phone, but im afraid backing up the jailbroken phone wont fix it when i restore it.

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

In your case, you want a clean slate. However you do need some way of offloading the data you have (contacts, photos, notes, etc).
    I suggest two things:
    1) back up the data
    2) find a way to save the data on your phone, just in case something in the backup is problematic
    For #2, e-mail all your notes to yourself, d/l your pictures to an external disk, etc. These are just examples of things you should do so you're prepared if your backup fails.

After you restore, use the backup you just made to get your phone up and running. If you discover that the culprit is there, restore again and start from scratch.