Jailbroken & [OH NOES!1] Iphone 2g -> Ipod touch help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mhport2, Nov 29, 2010.

1. mhport2, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

mhport2 macrumors newbie

I found my old iPhone 2g that I use to use that was jailbroken and EDIT now, and I would like to make it just work as an ipod touch for my car. Its 16 gigs of goodness. I used this phone for a little when it was first released, I jailbroke it, put a black back on it, it was bad to the bone at the time. Then I updated and it bricked and started to fall apart and I got a 3g anyway.

The screen is locked at the emergency call screen an gives the standard "No SIM card installed, Insert a valid sim with no PIN lock to activate." I dont have the original sim, my friends iPhone sims offer no help, (I have a rooted htc EVO now) I've restored the phone and updated to 3.1.2 through recovery mode. I've tried to use redsn0w again to just unlock it but it keeps saying the ispw firmware isn't correct.

Does anyone have any other advice? All i want to do it just use it as an ipod, I dont mind jailbreaking it, its just frustrating apple made it this hard to turn the damn thing on.

Thanks for anything.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

I'd recommend for starters changing your title you phone is not bricked. people just laugh when they see somebody post that myself included. The easiest way to fix the sim problem is get one from that carrier IE AT&T barrow a friends or a inactive one will do. ebay has them for a few bucks. ok that's all my help also you use ultrasn0w to unlock

www.Iclarified.com has the best tutorials

3. mhport2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh god, I forgot I was dealing with Apple people again.

The phone wont do anything even with a sim card in it. Thats a brick to me.

4. Zermelo, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

Zermelo macrumors regular

Maybe a brick to you but not THE DEFINITION of it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_(electronics)

Obviously your phone CAN function is SOME capacity, so it is NOT bricked. It's not just about nitpicking at the title of your thread, but pointing out the fact that you will get more accurate responses if you give a more accurate description.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

1) Regardless on your personal feelings toward the term, your phone is not bricked.
    2)Apple made it difficult for you to use your phone after you repeatedly jailbroke and even "bricked" your own phone in the process? Ok....
    3) you just need to reactivate the phone, get a sim card, stick it in, and plug it into the computer. Too bad there wasn't a screen that told you what to do on the phone.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

7. mhport2 thread starter macrumors newbie

right.... thats hilarious.

Anyways, I've put a sim card in it and it still wont let me activate it, since none of you all read that part. iTunes says that it does not recognize it and to take it to an apple store, thats not going to happen obviously. And once again when i try to unlock it with any software it wont recognize any ispw firmware.

8. Zermelo macrumors regular

Was it an at&t sim?

9. mhport2 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, from a friends 3g.

10. APtalent macrumors regular

11. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

are u guys being mean just b/ TS is sporting an Evo now? :p

If it's locked to AT&T and doesn't activate with a fully functional AT&T SIM-card and it won't restore to stock firmware then you're SOL. Either the SIM-card reader is shot or the device has just died on you (still not bricked b/o a JB!)

Last resort would be to try www.blackra1n.com to try and hacktivate it, beware you need a fixed exe to work with any iTunes past 9.1 (http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-blackra1n-on-itunes-9.1-with-blackbreeze-9140586/)

12. mhport2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I SWITCHED TO THE DARK SIDE!!!11 MUHAHAHHA

But really, I still love Apple just as much as Google/Android, and I love being a dick just as much as the other guy too. Quality is quality, like my new Macbook Pro. The Evo literally does everything I would do with an ip4, and it was cheaper to switch back to my family plan on Sprint.

I'm trying to get this old iphone to work and dedicated to my car for music.... I am going to just have to take it to someone that knows more, I think I found a guy that is local that can do it.

Thanks to people that actually helped, but its out of my knowledge realm now and Ill just except that.