Jailbroken on iOS 4.1 - Upgrading to iOS 4.2 NON JAILBROKEN

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by michaeldk5000, Dec 2, 2010.

1. michaeldk5000 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me - I am currently jailbroken on iPhone 4 iOS 4.1. I have a few things like BiteSMS and SBSettings installed etc, but I am not happy with the speed of the phone just now. I was wondering if there was any way to upgrade to iOS 4.2 and returning to an unjailbroken state without losing all of my data

Is the only way to do this to restore as normal and then restore from back up? (i.e. is there a way to do this which will only take a few minutes?)

Thanks a lot,
    Michael.

2. Cameron08 macrumors member

I did the same thing. I just recently updated to 4.1.2 (stupid me) but you will lose your jailbroken apps of course if you restore but there is an jailbroken app called pfkbackup and it will backup your jailbroken data if you plan to not update to 4.1.2 I cant wait till they release an untethered jailbreak for 4.1.2

3. michaeldk5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I just plug my phone into iTunes and update to 4.2.1, will that make it unjailbroken and run fine on iOS 4.2.1 (I don't want to be jailbroken anymore)

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yep. You'll have a stock iPhone 4 with stock OS if you go this route.

5. eshroom macrumors 6502

Yes, but, out of curiosity, why?

6. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

because the freedom offered by jailbreaking must carry with it the freedom not to be jailbroken.

7. michaeldk5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just because I felt that it slowed my iPhone down a little bit, and I didn't really benefit from the jailbroken features enough to sacrifise the speed :)

8. yankintx macrumors 6502

cool! I unjailbroke my phone and upgraded to new Ios. Saves me alot of time..
    By that I mean time sitting and playing with the phone trying to change icons..themes....etc

That was addicting to say the least. The upside is that I learned quite a bit by fiddling with ssh and the rest of the goodies.

I do miss a couple of the apps I used when jailbroken, but no sweat.

9. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

haha, the addictiveness of jailbreaking cannot be understated. Especially theming. You think downloading themes off cydia is bad? Try going into the theming thread here on MR (or Macthemes)...once you start coding and franksteining themes, there's no turning back!