Jailbroken replacement iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by goughbradley, Nov 13, 2010.

1. goughbradley macrumors newbie

So, this is interesting to me, and probably the best evidence that Apple does not replace iPhones with new phones, but refurbished ones. I had my original iPhone 4 replaced because it kept over heating and shutting off (I live in Canada, no way it's because of the weather...).

Anyway, when I got home I jailbroke my phone and entered Cydia. Cydia says it has all of the SHSH Blobs saved for this iPhone from 4.0.1 up to 4.2b3. There's no way I could have saved them because I got it replaced when it was on 4.1. I'm not complaining, the phone works awesome, and looks perfect in every way. I do wonder who it was used by before though...

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Yes, Apple uses refurbs, not new iPhones. :)

3. No ice please macrumors 6502

Nice find OP. Wonder why the last person returned it even though you find it has no problems?

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Apple refurbishes it. If something was wrong, they fixed it. It could have had a cracked screen, got replaced and board, etc stayed, resulting in the SHSH blobs being on file since the ECID is still the same. :)

5. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

If you return any Apple product for warranty issues and a replacement is issued you may get a refurb item rather than a brand spanking new one.

6. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Is not the best evidence TS...

:apple: tells us that a replacement COULD BE either a 'New iPhone' OR a 'Refurbished Unit' that has been properly tested to work....

Directly from Apple's mouth:
    http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/exchange/
    "5.Will the replacement iPhone be the same model as the one I purchased?
    Yes, Apple will send you the same model with the same specifications as the iPhone you originally purchased. The replacement iPhone will be new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability"

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly, maybe the whole thing got replaced but the logic board and since the previous owner JB and started saving its SHSH's you got lucky.
    I wouldnt complain about something like that:)

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

even non jailbreakers benefit by shsh blobs. since many come runing in at the last minute wanting to jailbreak and unlock there phones. So they can benefit from the extra bucks they can get. they ignore or flame the JB's then last minute they want our advice. Hey I want extra bucks to sell my Iphone to get the new one How?[/B :rolleyes::

So very nice find TS i'd be happy! Apple checks all refurbs before releasing them. I got my phone replaced for my 3GS and my I4 both were better. So what if my phone wasn't a Virgin! :p