Jailbroken Sprint 4s on iOS 5.0.1 battery

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nanogirl21, Mar 5, 2012.

1. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I know this has been discussed thousands of times but I have not seen any RECENT postings about it. I am on a jailbroken iOS 5.0.1 with 4s on the Sprint network and I am having poor battery life (along with many others).

Yesterday I charged my phone to 100% and unplugged it around 11pm. This morning at 6am the battery was at 25%. During the time I received 2 text messages and an apple store update notification. I had Wi-Fi and 3G off. I was on E network.

Going from 100% to 25% in less than 8 hours without any usage is unacceptable. Yes, a solution would just be to charge the phone. However, that is not always possible. I read up on different settings that can help with battery life. Below are the settings that my phone currently has.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for extending battery life via changing settings or installing some type of app?

Ask to Join Networks = Off
    Location Services = On (Facebook, Siri, Weather)
    Call Network & Search = On
    Compass Calibration = On (I am wondering if I can turn this off since I do not use Compass)
    Diagnostic & Usage = Off (I am thinking this should really be on)
    Locations-Based iAds = On (Not really sure what this is either can I turn it off?)
    Setting Time Zone = Off
    Traffic = On
    Status Bar Icon = On
    Brightness = About 70%
    Auto Brightness = Off
    Siri = On
    Raise to Speak = Off
    Cellular Data = On
    Voice Roaming – On
    Data Roaming = Off
    VPN = Not Connected
    Bluetooth = Not Connected
    Spotlight Search = On (Contacts and Applications)
    Auto Lock = 1 Minute
    iCloud = On (Contacts and Find My iPhone)
    Email = On (1 personal fetch every hour and 3 work related push)
    Twitter = Not Installed
    TTY = Off (What is this?)
    Facetime = Off
    iTunes Match = Off
    Shake To Shuffle = Off
    Sound Check – On
    EQ = Off
    Volume Limit = Off
    Lyrics = Off
    Group By Artist = On
    Videos & Photos = Everything Off
    Notes = Marker Felt
    App Store Automatic Download = On (Apps)
    User Cell Data = Off

2. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

Brightness seems a bit high to be worried about battery life.

3. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

I tried everything, turning off different settings etc, full restore etc etc. Eventually I just had the Apple "Geniuses" replace my phone and noticed a big difference, but it really depends.

4. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Well if the screen display is off. The brightness doesn't matter. The phone wasn't in use.

----------

What type of difference did you see length wise?

5. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Check your location services. It's a known bug that it keeps checking "setting time zone". You will see a purple arrow if it's using it. I just turn it off and the battery life is better.

6. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

I no longer have to charge my phone twice a day lol, or keep my phone on the charger while playing games etc

7. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Yeah I think I am going to take it to the apple store. I already got a replacement from Sprint but no luck. My phone is less than 2 months old. Did you have to pay anything from the apple store to get a replacement? What type of test did they do and how long did it take? My iPhone is jailbroken. I will restore it back to factory settings before I go to the store. Since 5.1 is expected to come out soon do you think it would be a problem?

8. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Yeah the carrier will give you a refurbished phone most of the time due to the crappy warranty, as where Apple will give you a brand new one. I still had the manufacturers warranty so I didn't have to pay nething up front. Just be sure to fully restore your phone, the upside is if you restore it all the logs will get wiped so they can't give you some excuse to not trade it out, and will make the process much quicker ebcause they wont be able to run the diagnostics etc. I just told them I restored it to try and troubleshoot the issues myself (which wss half true), but I wsa really doing it to wipe the traces of the jailbreak lol

And yes, the new update will be a problem, I would hold off on upgrading it/get your phone swapped out asap

9. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Sorry for all the questions. Are you saying that I should get it swapped out BEFORE the upgrade of 5.1 comes out? Just making sure I understand what you are saying.

10. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

I would, although I am not sure of any of the phones they might swap you out with will be preloaded with the new OS, just mentioning it to be on the safe side.

"Sorry for all the questions."
    No problem =D

11. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

I went ahead and called apple support and they are sending me a new replacement phone. Should have it tomorrow.

12. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Nice, guess there are no Apple stores near you =P

13. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

There is but there are not any Genius appointments available within the next 48 hours :mad: (I am surprised too). I should just go in but it is quiet a ways from me and I don't want to waste gas/time/energy only not to be able to be seen. I am just hoping that the replacement is a new phone and not a refurbished phone.

14. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

If it is from Apple it should be brand new, they do not give out refurbished phones =D, or so they say

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Are you sure ?

Back in the days of poor quality control (3G and 3GS) every replacement phone I got from Apple was refurbished.

16. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

Last couple times I went into the Apple store I got a brand new phone as a replacement. I have never called in and spoke with Apple support and had them send me one. I guess experiences vary? lol