Jailbroken Unlocked iPhone 3G "Sim is not supported" message in iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Siarhei, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Siarhei macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! :) I have an iphone 3G Modem firmware 02.28.00
    It was jailbroken for me by a friend in UK when brand new. I don’t know which prog was used but I have Cydia and Installer and also a pineapple logo when I reboot. I think there is a sourse app.yellowsn0w in my Cydia too. I don't remember.
    Anyway, I am abroad now for a year and not going back to UK straight away so I need help here if you can. I have never updated the phone software again after that. Never had any problems until today. As usual, had my MacBook software update done(iTunes was updated too – maybe that's the problem?) and then connected my iphone. Got the message “SIM is not supported blah, blah, blah…” The phone is working fine otherwise. Calls, texts and everything else are not affected. The only thing is that I can’t update my music, pics, contacts and calendars :( Please advise what to do. Should I update my iphone Modem firmware? I know that newer software is better but I am worried that I won’t be able to do everything correctly and might block my iphone to “unusable” state. All I want is a minimum of changes – just to get the iphone to upload music, pics, contacts and calendars. If you believe that I should update the Modem firmware – I really want to have all the latest features – please tell me how and what firmware to update to(what’s unlockable now?), what programs to use and everything else.

I have been told that I need to "hacktivate" in order to unlock and to be able to sync with iTunes. Can I just unlock without any more jailbreaking? And I must have the required software on my iphone already if it was jailbroken, right?

I would really appreciate your help with this.

Many thanks! :)

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

If you restore now to the latest update you will lose your jailbreak and unlock.

If you know what you're doing you could download and restore to an older version of the firmware, but you'll then need to do the jailbreak and unlock for yourself.

3. Siarhei thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, sure. I understand all that. I am not going to simply restore via iTunes. :)

Just to sync via iTunes now would be great. So I just want to unlock again so that iTunes stops asking me for a valid SIM-card and lets me sync.

4. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a

Philberttheduck

5. Siarhei thread starter macrumors newbie

no, I have not. what's that and where to get it/how to use it?

:)

6. Siarhei thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help! :) I have upgraded to firmware 3.0 going into DFU then option-restore and selecting firmware 3.0 ipsw, jailbroke using Pwnage tool 3.0 and unlocked using ultrasn0w:D

Also tried redsn0w but it sucks... :apple: