Jailbroken vs Unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ImageStealer, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ImageStealer macrumors newbie

ImageStealer

Hello;
    I have purchased an unlocked iPhone4 from Virgin Mobile in Canada.

I also have an iPad non-3G that I would like to be able to "Tether" to the iPhone 3G.

I see all kinds of information about creating a WiFi hotspot out of the iPhone, but only if you "jailbreak" it.

Is there a difference between "jailbreak" and "unlocked"?

If so, what?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A jailbreak is a way to hack your iPhone into making it do things that Apple doesn't allow/want it to be able to do. Unlocking is when you make the iPhone work on any cellular carrier. You must jailbreak if you want to unlock.

3. ImageStealer thread starter macrumors newbie

ImageStealer

Unlocked iPhone

Thanks for your reply. The phone is already unlocked. Question I guess, is do I still need to "jailbreak" it to make it into a WiFi hotspot?

After reading all the issues and failures regarding this process, and the complexities involved, I am not sure I want to do this.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Was the phone brand new when you bought it, or used? If it's brand new then it'll be an official unlock and won't be jailbroken. If it's used, it may already be jailbroken. See whether you have an app called Cydia installed.

5. ImageStealer thread starter macrumors newbie

ImageStealer

Jailbreak

Phone is brand new. I don't think I want to void the warranty, and I assume that jailbreaking will do that.

I can live with the iPad only being connected if there is an accessible WiFi hot-spot in the area. After all, I can always use the iPhone, even if the screen is so minuscule.