Jailbroken with jailbreakme, want to go through Pwnagetool

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Leafs, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Leafs macrumors member

Hi I have a 3Gs running 4.1 and jailbroken with jailbreakme. It seems to be crashing a few times and also I've noticed that since the boot screen with the "stuck" pixels, i've had this one pixel that is barely visible but there and noticeable on light backgrounds only. The pixel is just a bit lighter than all the other. Like i said it is barely visible but the fact that I know it is there bothers me.

So I want to try to jailbreak through pwnagetool. I have windows vista though so I'm assuming there is a windows version? I heard people don't use sn0wbreeze just from reading this forum. What should I do?

I also have my SHSHs on file through Cydia and have used tinyumbrella to store my SHSH to my computer. Just wondering what version I should restore to and basically is it worth it to go through all this trouble.

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Only if u have shsh saved for as back as 3.1.2 and the old bootrom 3GS.

3. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

To use pwnagetool for 3GS, you will have old bootrom and downgrade to official 3.1.2 OS, use pwnagetool to create custom OS 4.0 or below, and then, restore through iTunes with that file.

4. Leafs thread starter macrumors member

3.1.2 i have stored. I believe I have the old bootrom though as my seriel number is ***29******. Can anyone confirm this?

By any chance is there a tutorial for this? I've never used pwnagetool and can anyone confirm it works for windows? thanks

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why not restore to 4.0.1 and jb with jailbreakme to see if it fixes the bugs.
    The jb works fine with everyone.

6. Leafs thread starter macrumors member

isn't it better to jailbreak through pwnage over jailbreakme?
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=986890
    like when 4.0 first came out wasnt there a jailbreak right away for people who pwn'd their phones? while others had to wait for jailbreakme to come out?

7. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Believe, week 29 old bottom. Were you ever on 3.1.2 JB? If yes, could you restart the phone without needing a computer (tethered)? If you could, you definitley have the old bootrom.

Pwnagetool only works on Mac. Instead, google for one people already made with pwnagetool. Look for 3GS custom firmware 3.1.2. Or, use Redsn0w on the official 3.1.2 firmware. Afterward, continue to use custom firmware to stay pwned = accept unsigned code.

8. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

No you have to be pwned on 3.1.2 to restore the custom 4.0 ipsw..

9. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

The main reason to stay on the train is to preserve the baseband which you've already updated but also allows for future non-userland jailbreaks.

10. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

You are correct. Then, OP should use Redsn0w at official 3.1.2, and then, restore with 3.1.3 - 4.0 custom firmware (google).

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Better?
    It accomplishes the same thru a different exploit.

12. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Because once your on the boot exploit train it's no problem upgrading to future custom firmwares where otherwise you will have to wait and hope they find another userland exploit? One Apple is capable of fixing while the other they're not.

13. Leafs thread starter macrumors member

So who's right? lol

Should I be wasting my time going through this process???

14. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

It really depends on what the dev team does and how future iOS versions work with older models. Pwnage is long term solution but who keeps their iPhone that long before upgrading, right? Here's a little more information about it.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree but those with a 3GS pawnage ipsw that didn't upgrade are very few. I'm sure they got more exploits saved. Not sure if they will use userland or deeper exploits.

I wouldn't.

16. wenglish macrumors member

Does anyone know why this is?

17. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

In essence, the author of Snowbreeze takes Pwnagetool and makes it work on Windows. It doesn't always work correctly and custom firmware created through Snowbreeze could cause problems.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, not could cause problems they do cause problems and run like crap.

19. wenglish macrumors member

Good to know, thanks. Based on this I talked a friend with a Mac to run pwnage to create me a 3.1.3 IPSW instead of using Sn0wbreeze.

Mike