"Jamming" the Firewire bus? Devices on FW400/800 on iMac.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Arnaud, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Arnaud macrumors 6502

I'm having problems with my FW ports, on my iMac 24".

There are several devices plugged to the FW ports, which include 3 HDDs on the FW800 (linked) and 1 FW Hub on the FW400 for an EyeTV200, a DVD burner and access to the videocamera.

The problem is that, too often, something seems to get "jammed" on the whole FW area: spinning beach ball when trying to open one HDD, or EyeTV not recognized, videocamera not available... With devices plugged on both ports, I will need to unplug the items on the FW400, to have the HDDs on the FW800 work properly.

It's really annoying, because I can't really rely on my whole installation, if I want for example to record video for one hour.

I already tried to change the settings. I had previously only 1 HDD on the FW800, and the 2 HDDs, the EyeTV, the DVD burner and the camera on the hub on the FW400. But I changed this setting because of the above-mentioned problem. I also tried without the hub, and/or without the EyeTV, and/or without the camera, to try to single out the problem, but to no avail.

It might be one of my HDDs (they are all LaCie models), but I don't really feel like reformating just for the fun...

Last bit: I already had similar issues on my previous iMac G5 (only FW400, of course).

Anyone having an idea about that? Similar issues? Ways to check the proper state of the FW devices?
    NB: When the line is "jammed", neither the System Profile nor the Disk Utility work.

I'd appreciate any help on that matter ! Thanks a lot :)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Arnaud thread starter macrumors 6502

The EyeTV as well as the hub (when it's used). The other ones (HDDs, DVD burner, video camera) have their own power supply.

However, the same problem happens with only the HDDs on the FW800 and videocamera on the FW400, ie all externally powered.

That was a good possibility though.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think the problem might be the disks going to sleep.

~desu

5. Arnaud thread starter macrumors 6502

Er... No, I don't think that fits the pattern...

Disks are just switched on or just used on one port, then the other port is connected; nothing is available anymore from the disks, but there is no sound change in the mechanic of the disks (no click-click, no slowing down of the spinning); as soon as the other FW port is released, the disks are immediately available, no delay, no click-click, no gain of speed.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It sounds like you are having some kind of device ID conflict. What is plugged into the other port?

7. Arnaud thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, that's the problem, the list of plugged device does vary.
    Nowadays, with the 3 HDDs on the FW800, I could have on the FW400 any of the other devices (EyeTV, videocamera, DVD Burner), directly connected or via HUB, alone or in combination, with the same problem: it seems it's not connected to one of them exclusively.

I think the issue is reduced to: problem with one of the HDDs, or problem with the FW bus? I'd like to know how to be sure. Or if the FW bus of the iMac is known for being weak (ie, getting unstable with more than one item connected to it...).

That's a little frustrating... :(

8. BigPrince macrumors 68020

The iMac's dont like daisy chaining as the eMacs did. I generally have problems with more then one firewire device on an iMac but never on a eMac, older imac or iBook.

9. Arnaud thread starter macrumors 6502

Mmm. That's the kind of answer I was afraid of... And also what I felt from my previous iMac as well. IF that's the problem, then, it's really disappointing...

Thanks for your input.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The same devices on the two computers or newer ones on the new computer?

11. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I'm sorry could you rephrase your question for me.

thanks

12. Arnaud thread starter macrumors 6502

I think he meant:
    - did you use the same devices on all the machines you mention, and encounter problems only on the iMac, or
    - is it a more general statement that you always have problems on the iMac only, whatever the devices you plug.

I guess the underlying question is: could the problem you mention be linked to one (or more) piece(s) of fawlty hardware (the devices) ?

Mmm, not sure I made it much clearer... :confused:

A. :)

13. BigPrince macrumors 68020

I've experienced this with external harddrives only many different iMac g5's and and handful of intel iMacs.

I don't use other devices, but I would guess my generalization is still valid.