Jan. '08 MPro front Firewire problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thxdave, Mar 3, 2008.

1. thxdave macrumors member

If anybody here has a camcorder with a Firewire output, can you check something for me? I'm trying to use the front panel FW port on my new mac pro and it doesn't see my camcorder (Canon GL2) when I plug it in to capture footage. It IS seen if I plug the same FW cable into the port on the back of the ACD so that seems to rule out a bad FW cable. Also, the port seems to be working because it will see a FW CF cardreader when I insert it into the port. Any ideas? Is there a difference between the front and rear FW ports on the latest Mac Pro?

2. thagomizer macrumors 6502

I have the same problem using the front FW800 port. It's flaky... sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. It will power up a bus-powered drive, but Disk Utility usually won't see it.

Rear FW800 port works fine with the same drive and cable.

I also see the problem if I connect another Mac to the front port, in target disk mode.

My machine is an 8-core 2.8.

3. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I used the front FW port to migrate all the data (135GB) from my PowerBook last week. I'm 1 for 1 on my front FW porting working. MP in sig.

4. em5photog macrumors regular

em5photog

I used front firewire port to move files from my old powermac to my new macpro in target disc mode and it worked fine i have a firewire camera and i will try it tonight and post back the results .

5. thxdave thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help, Macuser360. I forgot to add that I was using the FW400 port going from the 6-pin connector to the 4-pin connector on the camera. I would normally NEVER capture video through a hub (the Cinema Display ports) but would always plug either straight into the motherboard ports or into a dedicated FW card.

6. shokunin macrumors regular

My FW800 front port is also appears flakey. It worked fine transfering files from my old Mac Pro to the new Mac Pro. I use an Sandisk eXtreme CF Card reader that has FW800 interface. It doesn't get recognized using the front FW800 port, but works fine everytime using the rear ports.

If I remember correctly, I had this problem on the old Mac Pro as well... have not tried a camcorder yet...

7. em5photog macrumors regular

em5photog

I did import a video from my canon camcorder thru the front firewire port tonight have no problems. I also tried hooking it up a couple different times just to see it was flakey but it recognized it every-time

8. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I use a cannon elura 60 on the front (haven't tried the GL1). All the video software controls the camera, but FCP and iDive has problems seeing the video unless I disconnect my LaCie FW 800 drive from the back port. QT or iMovie does not have any problem. There are a few bus resets in the log.

Bottom line is that its flakey and works best without other FW or USB devices connected. I think those that are seeing problems typically have other devices connected, and those of us without issues have only one device connected.

9. thxdave thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the testing. That hslps me out if I decide to go to Applecare with it. For this kind of money, I feel like I should be able to connect the camera to pretty much any port (maybe not a hub, though) and this isn't making me happy. However, as long as I have at least ONE port to do my transfers, I guess I can live with it. Again, thanks to all.

10. newenglandfilm macrumors newbie

front and rear ports definitely different

I just sent back a Mac Pro b/c camera wouldn't be recognized on front port (that and two weeks into ownership it died and never came back). On rear port only works if everything is turned off first and then switched back on. Same problem with the new Mac Pro they just sent me - not sure what to do now. Pretty shoddy for $3k if you ask me.

Michele

11. em5photog macrumors regular

em5photog

Update I just used a another firewire camera and imported 3 more full movies from the front firewire port and this time i tried it with a usb drive hooked up all went well.

12. eyecool macrumors regular

I used the front firewire in mine to hook up my panasonic video camera. I could import the .dv's one tape at a time. Then I'd have to reboot to import the next tape.

Coincidentally, after tape 4, I figured out if I turn off my camera, unplug the firewire, then put a new tape in, I didn't have to reboot the workstation. But since then, I've had the reboot on wake issue for. I went weeks with no problems until the little foray with the front firewire and digital video work I did last night. :eek:

13. WoOdPiPeS macrumors member

Hi,
    the MacPro gives to the 4 FF ports, a maximun of 28watts ouput, or 12watts ouput for 1 of them (this is on the MacPro manual), so, if you have a Hard Disk connected, maybe is taking too much watts from the FF and close you the doors for connecting more devices (independently of front or rear panels).

WP