Jan '09 17" MB Pro - running hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flanamac, Apr 22, 2009.

1. flanamac macrumors 6502

To start, I don't have the IStatpro loaded, nor fan control. I reinstalled the OS only a few weeks ago to get rid of the junkware so I am running only apps I need.

I do not overload the system with many applications up at once. I like to keep things "neat."

That being said, is it normal for the battery area (between the keyboard and the screen to the left side a bit) to be very hot when charging? The charger gets pretty toasty as well. I did talk to a tech a couple weeks ago when I reinstalled the OS and they said as long as it doesn't get "too hot," but what is "too hot?"

How about when watching a google video? Even with the charger unplugged, so running on battery, that battery area seems really hot at times like it is working hard to keep the CPU running. No other area of the body get that hot.

I take it this is part of the design of the unibody and something to live with.

Any thoughts on when this area of the body is supposed to heat up?

FYI - I have found that when running Photoshop, or some other passive application (passive in that I know watching video uses more CPU activity continually than a program loaded into memory and used only as you interact with it), the machine runs a lot cooler; so I think it has to do with watching video.

2. flanamac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1778
    Apple says this is normal.

I think I will get a couple 1/2x1 pieces of wood (since my computer doesn't get moved much (don't ask me why I got a laptop if this is the case because you never know when you need to take it with you) and put under the back and front of the machine.

This should allow a bit of air under the machine as well and help keep it cooler. right now it just sits flat on an office desk and no air really gets under it. It would be better if the desk was metal, but it isn't.