Jan 15 (chances of updated touch)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mohmandm, Dec 17, 2007.

1. mohmandm macrumors member

Realistically what do you think the odds are that there would be an upgraded Ipod touch on the 15th? I have the money but am just waiting to see if there will be any upgrades. Please discuss based on any past experiences or things you've heard through the grapevine.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

iPods tend to refresh about once a year. Since the iPod touch came out just a few months ago, I would strongly doubt that there will be any significant changes unless the price in flash storage dropped significantly when I wasn't paying attention.

Check the Buyer's Guide here for a idea of how often things refresh. Of course, there's no data for the touch right now, but it should give you some ideas.

3. nlivo macrumors 6502a

nope. appletv will be getting updated and the new sub-notebook will be introduced.

4. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Zero. Zilch. None. Nada. Diddly. Diddly-squat. Goose egg. Airball. Nay. Nathan.

5. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

As a newbie, you might not be familiar with the Buyer's Guide:
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPod_touch

That being said, the touch has no historical data available. However, looking at the rest of the iPod lineup, they are historically updated every 238-268 days. The iPod touch is only 106 days in. So it would seem to be highly unlikely you will see an update in the next few months.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I don't think they will update the hardware, but I have a feeling they will announce some new features for iPhone, a subset of which will be introduced on the touch. (I'm talking a firmware update here).

Basically, I expect that they will announce a few new apps that were buily with the SDK as some examples of what we can expect after it's released a month or so later.

I'm guessing/hoping this will include upgrades to the Mail, Notes, and Calendar apps, which will all become available on the touch (without hacking). They'll add a new game to show of the "power of the SDK", and probably some iPhone specific apps, like a video recorder, voice notes, etc.

Anyways, that's just a guess. They're going to talk about what a huge success the iPhone is, since Jobs likes to gloat when he can, and they're going to need something to announce while he's doing that, and since we know the SDK is coming they'll want to show it off a bit too. The touch will get iPhone scraps, figuratively speaking.

But, no new hardware until late September/October is my other guess. Right after the back to school sales. I'm really curious to see where they go with the touch in terms of hardware. They can/will just add capacity, of course, but I don't know if that's all they'll do. I suppose better battery life, but those are just small expected increases as technology gets better.

Will they add BT? Camera? Or will they just add new software features and lock old touch users out of them artificially?