January 2008 NPD!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by fiercetiger224, Feb 14, 2008.

1. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Nintendo Wii 274k
    PlayStation 3 269k
    PlayStation 2 264k
    Nintendo DS 251k
    Sony PSP 230k
    Xbox 360 230k

1 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360) 330,900
    2 Wii Play (Wii) 298,100
    3 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) 239,600
    4 Rock Band (Xbox 360) 183,800
    5 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Xbox 360) 182,700
    6 Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) 172,000
    7 Burnout Paradise (Xbox 360) 144,100
    8 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3) 140,000
    9 Mario Party DS (DS) 138,500
    10 Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (DS) 133,000

Total Software Sales $610.6 million $523.1 million + 16.73%

Wow, interesting eh? The PS3 manages to get SECOND PLACE, about 5K short! Otherwise it would have been first! I didn't expect that to happen! :rolleyes:

Seems like the PS3 is finally starting to pick up some steam! And now that I think about it...It was only a only a couple days ago when MS announced that they had "shortages" which plagued them with lower sales numbers. I don't believe that. I've been to best buy the past two days and I've actually seen 3 times as many 360s than PS3s! Obviously Wiis were nowhere to be found. :D

I don't think Nintendo's strategy will work for MS. Isn't it kinda ironic that they announced this so-called shortage RIGHT BEFORE the NPD? MS always comes up with excuses...Maybe they had to re-allocate all those 360s to replace RRoD systems. :p

Anyway, I hope Sony keeps this up! Devil May Cry 4 might even help boost the numbers for this month! Oh and next month, Super Smash Bros. will PWN EVERYTHING! PUAHAHA! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

In order for Nintendo's strategy to work for MS, they would actually have to
    "sell" 360s. :)

<]=)

3. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

4. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha, true dat! MS doesn't stand a chance once Brawl comes out... :D I can already smell a perfect score from IGN! A perfect 10! Only because Famitsu gave it a 40/40! I can only imagine how "perfect" the game is. Oh boy I can't wait!

Okay I'll stop bragging about Brawl now. On another note, don't you guys think there'll be some big announcement at GDC for Sony? Maybe a pricedrop to $299, or even something like Home launching early, and maybe even more exclusives down the line?

This year is just awesome for both Sony and Nintendo. There's actually not really much that I'm wanting for the 360 this year...Looks like MS released the "halo effect" way too early in the game.

5. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The only game I want on the 360 -- that's not already slated for the PC, or available for it -- is also being made for the PS3 and I've already made up my mind to eventually buy a PS3. :eek:

<]=)

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

In fairness you have to give them some leeway. Just as many doubters were calling Nintendo's bluff when they were claiming supply/demand problems.

Maybe microsoft do have them. Maybe they have finally switched to falcon / thunderbird or whatever name they are calling the revision these days and it has made them harder to produce.

Who knows truly ?

But given those strong software sales I don't think they are going to be that worried really.

It's about time the PS3 got out of the doldrums and thankfully price cuts and decent games available finally are paying off.

The wii continues to amaze me.... only because despite a few great games, its possibly my least favorite of the console software wise and forthcoming title wise (only MarioKart and SSBB I'm truly looking forward to and are guaranteed buys).

7. asxtb macrumors 6502

It's interesting to see the PS2 outselling the 360. It kinda funny to see this when all the 360 fans were laughing about the PS2 outselling the PS3 when the PS3 first came out. Now it's reversed. And just think how much higher the PS3 sales would be if all models were B/C like my 20 gigger. :) Sony really is 'competing' against Nintendo, Microsoft, and itself.

It's also interesting to see that only 1 PS3 game cracked the top ten.

8. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

thank you for giving me an early morning laugh. :D

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Really? I'm less amazed when I see my grandparents thinking about buying one. Then I think, well they will never buy another game for it, and after the novelty wears off they will never use it again. Then I think, how many of the Wii's being sold are considered "Wii Sports" or "Guitar Hero" machines instead of a gaming console... Nintendo does a great job of making it just under the "hmmm thats too much for a game".

I'm glad sony is going well, although the software figures show MS is still pretty comfortable... as long as "shortages" *wink wink* don't hurt them.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hardware sales seems pretty even across the board: all between 200 to 300k

especially intresting how hardware is still going strong with the 360 in the US (only 60k december+ november combined in germany.. which means the US is buying 4 times as many xbox 360 in one month after christmas than germany is buying in 2 months before christmas)

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I know 4 families now where this is the case entirely. Non gamers but bought the wii and only played wii sports. Got bored a few months after, went looking for some software to follow it up, a wii sports 2 or a brain age style game, and when 13 months later we still don't have either of those - their wii's sit doing nothing.

As good as Mario Galaxy, Metroid etc... are They are not appealing to the non gamers and certainly are not as user friendly & pick up and playable as wii sports.

I think this is the main reason why despite the best sales figures for a console this generation, it has the weakest software sales.

At least there is plenty of choice on the DS for non gamers and the main reason why it continues to shift by the bucket load both in software and hardware.

12. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

One thing that no one probably remembers is that the same situation happened back when the PS2 first launched. And that is: the PS1 outsold the PS2 for quite a while, til finally the second year started, and they finally started getting out some awesome games. Looks like the same situation is finally happening for the PS3. It seems like kind of a buffer so that Sony doesn't lose as much money. This year is definitely Sony's year, as I'm wanting plenty of "exclusive" titles for the PS3.

13. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

QFT! +1!

However, Wii Fit will be coming soon and it has had a lot of success in Japan. Granted the western market is very different from the Eastern market, but with a lot of marketing they'll probably sell a buttload.

I think what's great is that they've got the hardcore stuff pretty much out of the way: the Zelda's and Marios and Metroids and Smash bros. All that is out in the first year which helps them concentrate (perhaps) on creating and marketing new IPs and new ideas.

14. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

The concept that families buy a Wii, then never by a game is mostly wishful thinking. Have you people ever heard of this thing called kids? ;)

<]=)

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Have you listened to the Wii-k in Review Podcasts? The IGN Wii love Brawl but have acknowledged some issues with it. Matt ranked it below Galaxy and Prime 3 for best Wii game. It should get a mid 9, but not a 10.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You think only families with kids buy the wii ? LOL!! In your dreams.

You obviously have never heard of middle aged to later aged people buying the wii. The kids have long since left home.

It's these peeps that the wii has attracted. 20-30 southings have probably been gaming since the early 80's.

It's this newer category of gamer that is so well served with the DS, who are being at the moment completely forgotten on the wii.

It's those later life peeps who were enamored by wii sports, who know have wii's sat gathering dust.

17. asxtb macrumors 6502

That, and there are actually kids out there that aren't into video games. :eek: I could easily see those kids seeing the Wii and thinking it looked fun, got one, and now nothing is available for them.

18. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Agreed. It will probably do much better now that BluRay has basically won the format war.

19. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

If you compare sales from launch date, the PS3 has kept pace with the 360. That's all Sony ever had to do: keep pace until the price came down and the games arrived and blu ray won.

The 360 will compete in North America, as it's basically a US thing, but it's dead everywhere else.

20. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Of course not, but they make up the lion share from where I stand.

I've been gaming since the pong days. ;) Where have you been? :p Beside me -- married with no kids, let me describe the people I know that have bought Wiis. Friends my age(35) and into their 40s. Almost all of them have children ranging from ages 2 - 15, some even adopted. I know more people with kids than without these days. My friends that don't have kids are running their own business -- that's my excuse. My friends with kids buy games they like and games to keep their kids happy.

Wii sports brought in people I had never figured would buy a gaming system, but the much older Wii gamers -- whom might only buy the system -- are definitely not the majority.

What do you mean by the DS gamers being neglected by the Wii? There's Zak & Wiki, but I would like to see a much larger collection of these games. If only they would sell better. :( The Wii has its Brain Age, even a Phoenix Wright type game via Birdman. It just needs a new Castlvania and puppy simulator. More games would be nice, but what type of games were you thinking of?

<]=)

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Actually, this is a very good point. I know one grandmother who bought a Wii and only got Wii Sports, Wii Play, Boogie, and Guitar Hero...but she buys other games for when her grandkids visit.

The grandparents often realize that buying games for the grandkids gets them to visit more often.

22. fiercetiger224 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Naaw I haven't listened to it yet. I imagine it'll probably get between a 9.5 and 9.8. But that's just wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

Oh well...Moving forward is how future NPDs will turn out for all three consoles.

I think Nintendo will continue to sell as well as it's been selling. As for the PS3, it'll start to be neck to neck with the Wii. Why you ask? Because now that the FUD about Bluray failing is over, more and more people will be wanting to jump aboard the PS3. I think people have been waiting it out until there was a clear victor in the format wars, AND it's still one of the best Bluray players in the market. So you've got one great gaming and entertainment console. Then we've got the 360...Which this year I'm not too impressed by their lineup, especially since most of them are multi-platform titles. So, I believe if MS doesn't show people what they've got in store for us this year exclusives-wise, there might not be enough reason to pick up a 360, compared to a PS3 at least. I think their sales might even begin to decline.

What's everyone's thoughts about how the consoles are going to do this year?

23. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I think this years line up is going to be interesting. I am curious to see if Sony can keep the volume above Microsoft. I also hope that the PS3 attach rate goes up, cause as it is the 360 sells tons of software. And has been doing so since it came out.