Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Hello Everyone,
I am currantly in the market for a mac Pro.
I have been reading the threads for a while and understand that we can be expecting a new Mac Pro around January 14th right.... or something close to this.
I am on a tight budget but would really like the pro as its very upgradable for future use.
I understand that the new machines will all likley be with 8 cores which would make a lot of the currant pro's obsolete.
I live in the UK and am not sure what to expect from apple as the new machines arrive. I would like the base machine at the moment (2ghz 2x2core and minimal ram). 8 cores would be overkill for the moment! and there is no affordable Desktop equivalent.
Are we to expect heavy discounts on the old machines (45%) ?
will there be a flood of old Mac Pro's on Ebay?
how long do mac sales last in the UK?
Will there be a heavier discount on referbished mac pro's?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Direct from Apple?

About 0%

On eBay, sod all. Macs hold their value.

Other stores (John Lewis etc) bugger all.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
There's no such thing as "sales" with Apple. Just check the refurb section of the store for discounted products. Most current model refurbs have around 15% off; previous models can be anything from 20 to 30-something % off.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Do PC World stock Mac Pro's? Because it's perfectly possible to haggle them down on their Mac stock. ;)

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
Well I've just got back from my local PC World where they had big tables at the front of the store full of clearance items, amongst all the crap there was a brand new 20" Apple Cinema Display (the box also said widescreen), bearing in mind it was marked as "clearance" it was priced up as £420 down from £600. Looking at the Apple Store online it's selling for £399, though there is no mention of widescreen, but it looks widescreen to me.

Who are PC World trying to kid!? Fair enough it's still factory sealed, but why would I buy one from them in a battered up box for £121 more than I can buy direct from Apple?

If it was £300 I'd consider it, but do you think that would be pushing my luck?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Well I've just got back from my local PC World where they had big tables at the front of the store full of clearance items, amongst all the crap there was a brand new 20" Apple Cinema Display (the box also said widescreen), bearing in mind it was marked as "clearance" it was priced up as £420 down from £600. Looking at the Apple Store online it's selling for £399, though there is no mention of widescreen, but it looks widescreen to me.

Who are PC World trying to kid!? Fair enough it's still factory sealed, but why would I buy one from them in a battered up box for £121 more than I can buy direct from Apple?

If it was £300 I'd consider it, but do you think that would be pushing my luck?

I would buy a new calculator first ;)

I've had a few Apple bargains from PC World, a MacBook Pro for £799 and a Mac mini with SuperDrive for £289 being the best.

In the summer, I saw a 20" ACD at one of the stores near me in the clearance section, it was ex-demo with no box and a few scratches. I asked how much and was told £200 at first, which the manager overruled to £470. I tried to explain they were only £399 brand new, but she wouldn't budge. It's still there now and I managed to get a brand new one for £280 off eBay. :)

To the OP, as soon as new models are released by Apple, the old ones just disappear from the Apple Store. The refurb store is probably your best bet for making a saving but you should also try Micro Anvica a few weeks after the new ones are released, just don't expect massive discounts. There are occasionally some bargains to be had on eBay as long as you know what you are doing.

steelski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
So what did happen

What happend when the Mac pro's originally got relised?
in America and the UK.

I know that Mac's keep their value, But I can not comprehend why the price of the older models would not fall drastically, especially as all the new ones are Ocrocore (rumor).
Who would want to buy a Mac Pro (basic 2ghz and 512Ram) for just a little bit less than what you can get a New Octocore Peny powered pro with HD-DVD + Bluray and 1-2 GB ram???

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
in America and the UK.

I know that Mac's keep their value, But I can not comprehend why the price of the older models would not fall drastically, especially as all the new ones are Ocrocore (rumor).
Who would want to buy a Mac Pro (basic 2ghz and 512Ram) for just a little bit less than what you can get a New Octocore Peny powered pro with HD-DVD + Bluray and 1-2 GB ram???

They're not going to hold value THAT well if the new specs completely blow the old stuff out of the water, I'd expect around a 30 - 45% price hit, which is enough to make someone go for the older model if they're budget conscious, but differentiates itself enough from the new stuff to make purchasing the newer model justifiable.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
in America and the UK.

You'll get less, say on ebay when selling an "older" mac pro when the new macs come out, but due to build quality and lifespan, the drop won't be as dramatic as other brands.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
If you are prepared to shop around you may be able to find the old Mac Pros at discount prices when the new models start shipping, typically about 30% off at the refurb store and maybe 20 - 25% off at Apple dealers.

You are probably going to struggle finding the quad 2.0 as it is only available built to order. I would expect the base model quad 2.66 to cost around £1200 at the refurb store. The refurbs are currently £1419.

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
I would buy a new calculator first ;)

Haha I just realized, how embarassing :eek: It's nearly as bad thinking the display was £180 and getting all excited when in fact it was save £180, to add to that I walked out of there with a Lexmark X4580 printer thinking I'd got a steal, but I was actually after an X4850, all-in-all it's been an odd week...I think I need to go back to work!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.