January update again

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ironduke, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

Guys I bought the Update in January(obviously) but since then I have reinstalled mac OS X (couldnt get the drive to partition to install xp) so i no longer have the download

how do I get the update back on my touch, When I go through Itunes I only see the option to buy.:(

2. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Contact Apple and tell them what happened.

Did you back all your files up? If so, you can retrieve the update from: Home Folder/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications/ipod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa

HTH.

3. Ironduke thread starter Suspended

Ironduke

thanx just email apple support?
    and i did not backup

4. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Yes.

5. Ironduke thread starter Suspended

Ironduke

well I did, and they told me to goto a genius bar or applestore.
    talk about fobbing me off over a 12.99 download, I have never heard of anything like this before

6. macRat17 macrumors member

macRat17

Im sure if you complained a few more times theyll just give in

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

Don't email Apple support. Report a problem with the purchase in iTunes. They've always let me re-download stuff if I lost it.

8. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

I also recommend that you back up the file this time (see my above post for its location).

9. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Interesting. I requested help via online iTunes Support about this very same problem, and within 36 hours (during the Easter weekend, no less!), they had emailed a reply and added a free replacement copy of the Upgrade to my iTunes Store download queue. They also told me the name and location of the downloaded file, so that I can back it up and restore it myself if my machine ever crashes again.

10. Ironduke thread starter Suspended

Ironduke

I suppose it depends which apple numpty is helping you, managed to solve the problem without their help:cool:

11. tacofreak macrumors member

Easy solution,

Press Check for Purchases and there you go the january update will start downloading right away and then it will apply....easy but if you want the update just PM me and ill send it to you (the folder)

12. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

That won't work, the file has DRM attached so it will only work with the individual who bought it.

13. tacofreak macrumors member

14. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

I can tell you than in my case, it didn't work.

The reason was that the iTunes Store keeps track of downloads, and only lets any given user download a particular file once per purchase. Since I had already successfully downloaded and used the upgrade once in the past, it would not allow me to download it a second time.

In the case of lost music, Apple's canned response for such a situation would be to pay for the lost track a second time, thereby unlocking permission to download it a second time. (Although apparently it is possible, with a strong enough sob story and a friendly enough customer service representative, to convince them to bypass that policy.)

Unfortunately, that canned response will not work with the January Software Upgrade, because the iTunes Store also doesn't allow you to pay for the upgrade a second time if their records indicate that you've already paid for it once in the past. Thence the reason why you are totally at the mercy of Apple's customer support to take care of you if you hadn't backed up the file yourself prior to a computer crash.

15. ag227 macrumors regular

i had this problem a couple of days ago and it wasnt easy getting it sorted.. heres what i had to do as told by them

1. Report problem in itunes purchase history - didnt work as was downloaded to long ago the 1st time.
    2. buy the update again and they will refund me for it - didnt work as your only allowed to download it once with each account apparently.
    3. i was then given this link to try it this way http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=271872604&s=143441 - didnt work as it takes you to same place as itunes store page
    4. They allowed my account to re download everything that i have bought including all music, software update, tv shows etc - this did work but took some time to get everything!

i was emailing one person at apple throughout the whole thing and she was very helpful.

try emailing iTunes Store <iTunesStoreSupport@apple.com>

This is the last email that they sent me...

Dear ......,

I understand this page gives you the same prompt you've been receiving. I know this must be very frustrating, and I have a fix for this issue right now.

The iTunes Store allows a one-time redownload of all your purchases should you lose them. Since this was just the one item, I thought it would be better to repurchase it for a refund, but since it isn't working I have used it to repost this item to your account.

Since the one-time exception has been used, I strongly recommend backing up all your data. There will be an article with back up instructions later in the email, and there will be information on where to find the file for this software to back up, as well.

Follow these steps to download the available items:

1) Make sure you're using the latest version of iTunes. It can be downloaded free of charge from the iTunes website:

http://www.itunes.com/download

2) Open iTunes.

3) From the Store menu at the top, choose Check for Purchases.

4) Enter your account name and password, then click Check. Your purchases should begin downloading. If you receive an error message while downloading, try again after turning off any firewall or web-accelerator software that you may have installed.

etc....

16. ch5800 macrumors newbie

Hi, I do have this file. How do get iTune to start the reinstallation of this file?
    Thanks

17. ch5800 macrumors newbie

I click on it, iTune was started but there is no reinstall option at all :(

18. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

Just sync the iPod with iTunes. iTunes must be logged into the account used to buy the update.