Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xCRUCESLOCx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Ok well when the January update first came out I bought it and just today i had to restore my ipod and now the January update apps don't show anymore and I was checking in to see what is going on?

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Im in the same boat. Just restored my touch and two things happen.

1. I lost my jan updates (i have recently restored my pc)
2. when I hold the screen down it does not allow me to move apps around or delet web clips.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Im in the same boat. Just restored my touch and two things happen.

1. I lost my jan updates (i have recently restored my pc)
Did you erase the contents of your C:\Documents And Settings\ folder when you restored your PC? If so, and if you don't have a backup, then you'll have to negotiate with an iTunes customer support representative to get permission to download the JSU a second time. At the moment that may be difficult because apparently the JSU has recently been pulled from distribution.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Did you erase the contents of your C:\Documents And Settings\ folder when you restored your PC? If so, and if you don't have a backup, then you'll have to negotiate with an iTunes customer support representative to get permission to download the JSU a second time. At the moment that may be difficult because apparently the JSU has recently been pulled from distribution.
They've also changed their copyright rules recently, and nothing can be re-downloaded regardless of the reason. This is why we backup, boys and girls.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
They've also changed their copyright rules recently, and nothing can be re-downloaded regardless of the reason. This is why we backup, boys and girls.

Back when I first lost access to the JSU, I had a recent backup of all my music, but I hadn't kept a copy of the JSU.

At that time, the iTunes support website already stated very clearly that they had a policy of never allowing purchased content to be downloaded a second time, and that backups or re-purchasing were the only two options.

This was a very bad thing with regards to the JSU because, at the time, it was only possible to ask to purchase the JSU once. If you attempted to pay for the JSU a second time, you couldn't get past an error message saying that you'd already bought it, therefore there was no need to buy it again. The only workaround was to sign in to the iTunes Store under a different username.

It's an even worse thing right now due to the fact that, as noted, the JSU doesn't appear to be available for purchase at all anymore.

Notwisthstanding that published policy, they were still accommodating to me at the time, and allowed me to download the JSU a second time. Now that I know about that Mobile Applications folder, I regularly include it in my backup regime.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Back when I first lost access to the JSU, I had a recent backup of all my music, but I hadn't kept a copy of the JSU.

At that time, the iTunes support website already stated very clearly that they had a policy of not allowing purchased content files to be downloaded a second time, and that backups or re-purchasing were the only two options.

This was a very bad thing with regards to the JSU because, at the time, it was only possible to ask to purchase the JSU once. If you attempted to pay for the JSU a second time, you couldn't get past an error message saying that you'd already bought it, therefore there was no need to buy it again. (There is no such error message when you attempt to re-purchase music.)

It's an even worse thing right now due to the fact that, as noted, the JSU doesn't appear to be available for purchase at all anymore.

Notwisthstanding that published policy, they were still accommodating to me at the time, and allowed me to download the JSU a second time.
Well, that's probably because they made the upgrade and they can distribute it however they want. I guess that everything else on iTunes will be affected by the new policy, though. This is the exception since it's made by the company distributing it.

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
NY
just call apple cs and tell them your situation and they probably will ask for account info to make sure you purchased it and they will let you redownload it, they let me do it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.