Japan/iPad 2 Nonsense

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sanford, Mar 13, 2011.

1. sanford macrumors 65816

Can we cut out these incomparable comparisons.

Last year my father-in-law, my kids' grandfather, stroked out early in the morning the day before my pre-ordered iPad was to arrive on launch day. We went home to shower and change that day, and I picked up my iPad that had been delivered, took it back to Neuro ICU waiting, where they had open wifi. He died a couple days later, having never regained consciousness. Would I have not bothered with my iPad if it would have improved his condition? Yes. Would I have tossed my iPad off the roof of the hospital if in doing so he would have survived? You bet. But what would have happened is I would have had a smashed iPad and a dead father-in-law.

Believe it or not there are people in Japan right now avidly reading about the new iPad 2. Maybe it's even giving them a much needed break from worrying about the devastation and long road of national recovery. There are people who already have iPads using them to record and publish updates about conditions in Japan.

How is it anyone expects a A GUY IN OHIO not to try and track down an iPad 2 and buy it because there was a massive earthquake IN NORTHEAST JAPAN? I think most people are well aware their problems of iPad 2 shortages are nothing remotely near the scale of the human strife in Japan, but how, exactly, is their not trying to solve their iPad 2 buying issues going to help anyone in the quake zone?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Someone call the ambulance... we've got a bleeding heart here!

Seriously- if you want to help Japan, trying to convince a bunch of MR members that they shouldn't worry about their iPad shipping schedule is not the way to do it.

3. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

I was rather saying the opposite: that people should knock off bashing people for worrying over getting a new iPad because there was an earthquake in Japan.

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

I try not to forget that this forum is populated by all age groups . If your older it can be difficult to communicate on certain topics if the age gap is too wide, hence the conflict.

People on this forum are generally very intelligent, but some are still looking for a moral center of gravity. If you have kids you'll know what i mean. An exercise in futility. :D

5. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

Amen, brother.

6. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

not sure why this thread needed to start to begin with. Just post your view on this situation within the multiple threads already out there on the forums.

I'm pretty sure there are more important things to be doing than beating a dead horse, just to get some attention.

:rolleyes:

7. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

That's the problem, multiple threads, it was all so fractured. Thanks for pointing out my ASB, though. I guess it's still better than DSB but not as much fun if you can pull it off.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

sounds a little dramatic ... everyone is concerned about Japan.

however I think many people could care less if the guy in Ohio got his iPad ... he will get an iPad soon enough.

9. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I was in college in the Midwest on 9/11. I was buying a used car that I needed for work nd called the bank to ask about my loan status. I think the woman I spoke to thought it was strange but answered my questions. It's not that I didn't feel bad about what was going on that day, it's just that I was so far removed from it, other than watching on television. It's a big world and loft of things happen every day. That being said if I had been living in NYC at the time I doubt I'd have been worrying about my car problems

10. sanford thread starter macrumors 65816

In all honesty, I'm not terribly concerned about Japan. It's interesting as news, it's of course troubling for people living in Japan or with loved ones in Japan, but it doesn't affect me or my family in the least. Besides which, if any country is at all prepared for a seismic event of this magnitude, it's Japan.

Exactly. Everything is relative to one's personal experience. We're kind of lying to ourselves if we deny that.