Japan + iPhone 4 = so confused!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by natejohnstone@g, Jun 14, 2010.

1. natejohnstone@g macrumors regular

natejohnstone@g

I've been researching this for a while, but keep getting conflicting answers so I thought I'd post a thread.

Situation: I want an iPhone4, and am moving to Japan next week.

Based on what I've read, I seem to have two options:
    Option 1) I am eligible for an AT&T upgrade, so I could pre-order an iPhone4 this week. Everything would work in Japan except the actual cell phone, 3G internet, texting and GPS, and when I'm back home in the US on leave the phone would work. Some have said their may be an option to rent a SIM from SoftBank and get my US iPhone to work there ... not sure if that's true.

Option 2) I could get an iPhone4 via SoftBank when I get to Japan. This way It would work as a cell phone while in Japan, but not when I"m home on leave (even if hacked). Also ... I'm not sure everything else will work on the phone! Some people have said that the GPS doesn't work in Japan, others that the WiFi doesn't work in Japan, etc. etc. I need to be able to use Skype on my iPhone4.

Does anyone know for sure what (if anything) is "turned off" on the iPhone4 in Japan?

Would it be possible to stick my old iPhone 3G SIM card (AT&T) into a Japanese iPhone 4 when I go back to the States for use on AT&T?

Thanks gang.

2. PUNISHER80 macrumors newbie

Everything works on my 3Gs over here, I preordered my iPhone 4 today, so we will see when I get it if everything works. They are the same phones though so I am pretty sure everything will work just fine. If an Unlock solution comes out for iOS 4, then you will be able to use it with ATT when in the states as long as you can get a micro-sim (iPhone 4). The GPS works here, but the apps that are for driving directions in the states do not work here, that is because they are US maps and not Japan. Email me if you have any other questions, turnersfam AT gmail DOT com.

3. svalentine macrumors regular

Hey Punisher are you upgrading from the 3GS? If so, did you have to do anything special with Softbank? I bought my iPhone outright from them last July.

4. cu2010 macrumors 6502

I might be there for a few weeks in the near future. So from what I've read and heard it seems my iPhone doesn't function as a phone in Japan? I'm a bit concerned that people may report me as a missing person lol