Japan Sales Numbers

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by e²Studios, Nov 28, 2007.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Well I noticed that Japan numbers haven't been posted in 3 weeks or so.. I know why though!

The PS3 just outsold the Wii for the 3rd week in a row in Japan ;) :D

DS - 130,031
    Wii - 47,497
    PSP - 90,034
    PS3 - 56,211
    X360 - 6,006

Kudos Sony, keep up the good work.

Ed

(we know about the DS Jimmi, give it a rest before you press reply)

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's a shame when a system sells out and can't sell any more :eek:

Whoa look at the DS ;) 120k in one week. sheesh. Apparently the little machine broke UK sales records last week too. Worldwide it beat the PS2 to the 20 million mark 2 years early!

Just been a very impressive time for the DS. I think I'll play mine before bed instead of watching a show on my iPod :) I was saving my joy for the NDP.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Pretty decent PS3 numbers. Is the Wii really that understocked, or is it selling poorly?

Wii Fit'll be out next week though...this'll be interesting.

Meanwhile the Wii's selling like crazy over here...

This holiday season will be/is getting very interesting.

4. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

DS numbers are indeed impressive, but so are the PSP numbers.

NPD will be interesting, however I am pretty sure that Nintendo will stomp all over its competition as expected. Sony's sales however are up 258% compared to the same week last year (Sales were strong last year at that time if you can remember), and the month numbers percentage wise are phenomenal.

Ed

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Congratulations to Microsoft! They hit 2% instead of the usual 1. :D

6. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

wow thats really kinda shocking. and i thought microsoft was gaining ground in japan because of all the new titles. i guess i was wrong.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You really haven't been reading the sales numbers, have you? :D

They get about 1% weekly. Which is rather good. I don't think the original XBox ever got more than 1000 sold a week after the first year had past.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Good job on all fronts. I'm happy to see PSP doing well :) But can anything stop the DS? even tho only a handfull of AAA titles came out this year it still prints money.

On a side note:

Have you seen the sales for Mario Galaxy in Japan? 1up said it's not doing all that hot compared to how it is doing in the ol' USofA/Kanada. Mario Party DS is stomping the hell out of it I think. I found it really surprising since Mario Galaxy is the best Wii game and one of THE best games this year.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

since it might interest somebody who spiked the hardwaresales up this week (_all hardware_ sales gone up afaik) "neu" means new .. since i got it from
    consolewars.eu

1. Dragon Quest IV DS Square Enix 597.000 Neu
    2. Winning Eleven 2008 PS2 Konami 294.000 Neu
    3. Winning Eleven 2008 PS3 Konami 141.000 Neu
    4. Mario Party DS DS Nintendo 110.000 460.000
    5. Final Fantasy XI: Wings of Goddess PS2 Square Enix 68.000 Neu
    6. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games Wii Sega 63.000 Neu
    7. Dinosaur King: The Seven Fragments DS Sega 57.000 Neu
    8. Mega Man Star Force2: BerserkxShinobi DS Capcom 37.000 Neu
    9. Mega Man Star Force 2: Berserk × Dinosaur DS Capcom 37.000 Neu
    10. Pachinko Assassin III: Iron Pachi-Chonmage 13 PS2 Hackberry 36.000 Neu

winning eleven release + dragon quest definitely gave ps3/ DS a huge boost in japan (whoever thought releasing winning eleven for Wii in 1Q 08 at Konami deserves a beating)
    for NPD numbers: i read sometimes during the last few days that the Wii had it's second best week since launch in november with 350k or something like that .. can't find the link at the moment so Galaxy gave a huge boost in US (and likely europe) while in japan it wasn't that well received

edit: http://kotaku.com/gaming/black-friday/nintendo-350k-wii-sold-last-week-record-ds-sales-327167.php

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

The PSP is just killing it...and people thought it would fail...its definitely a success. The price is now right with the PS3 plus the games are coming in(DW6 is LOVED in Japan) so expect the PS3 to gain even more ground.

Bless

11. asxtb macrumors 6502

True, but too bad that isn't the case here. There are Wiis available all over.

As I said in another thread, the ads here really just portray Wii Fit and the Wii board as just an expensive scale. We'll just have to wait and see how well it sells. But based on the commercials I wouldn't be buying. (if I had a Wii)

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Indeed. Shame the PSP isn't do so well in other regions.
    I'm so close to buying one again but it's such a mindfield.

No Sony, I don't want to pirate games. Yes Sony, I want to play homebrew. I want to play emulators for my dumped games and Cave Story :( and portable PS1 games on that Dark Alex f/w.
    I wish I lived next to some tech genius who would "make it so" for me.

What is the PSP hacking scene like since Dark Alex dropped out? If I got a PSP I'd be wanting to play old and new games, PS1 ISO dumps and rom dumps.

13. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

100,000+ DS in a week again. Holy crap.
    And doesn't almost everyone have a Wii already? ;)

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats just not true....the PSP is doing well in each region..haven't you been following the monthly sales;)

The PSP is not selling "DS" numbers yet its still there outclassing the big boys in the gaming industry(in each region)...sounds like "good" to me.

Bless

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wrong. Weekly UK sales has the PSP in 2nd to last place, even the PS2 outsold it.

DS- 186k
    Wii- 59k
    360- 25k
    PS3- 21k
    PS2- 19k
    PSP- 14k
    GBA- 1k

Infact in the whole EU and Aus regions combined the PSP sold 80k, compared to 102k for PS3, 122k for PS2. More than the 360 at 71k. A lot less than the DS at (jeez) 521k.
    In the US it outsold the PS3 but not the 360, Wii, DS or PS2.
    :)

But it doesn't make me not want one. *shrugs*

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

They are turning over a profit on those things now so that weekly sales "comparing" it to the others doesn't mean its not doing well...its not selling as much(every other week its beating out one of the big boys) but its still making that profit;)

Japan is a handheld nation...I'm surprised cell phone games aren't dominating.

Bless

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

guess vgchartz.com (where i guess you got your numbers) was off again with their early estimates .. or should i say.. random guessing

here the official mediacreate numbers from consolewars.eu for the week 19-25.11

DS Lite 116.694 76.069
    PlayStation Portable 75.027 65.609
    Wii 54.362 36.230
    PlayStation 3 50.564 39.178
    PlayStation 2 14.875 8.855
    Xbox 360 7.117 6.525
    (i omit the irrelevant rest from the bottom)

18. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I Thought everyone in Japan already had a Wii... ;)

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wait, so, the PS3 didn't outsell the Wii after all. What's the point this thread? I'm utterly lost, was it just a prediction or what?

20. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

21. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Media Create has the PS3 at 2 weeks but Famitsu and VGChartz say the PS3 is still 3 weeks. Depends on who your source is and where they get their data from.

It's tight either way, but imho PS3 has taken the sales lead for 3 weeks overall.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/2007113...onynintendo;_ylt=AmbBe.y3f3mk6rIWl.pJsU0jtBAF

Ed

22. asxtb macrumors 6502

Just checked the newest Famitsu and the PS3 is still outselling the Wii. How many weeks is this now Ed? Four?

Oh, and Takao, I don't know where you are getting your numbers but I would say that a highly regarded Japanese gaming magazine is a bit more accurate about Japan sales numbers than some European website.

23. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

This pretty much sums up what I've been thinking and it's from Ed's Yahoo link:
    "They said the softer Wii sales may also be the result of supply shortages rather than weaker demand."

During the summer there's usually a drop in sales which console makers will use to stock up for the holidays. The Wii's demand did not drop off, so Nintendo hasn't had the time to stockpile like Sony or MS.

Anyway, my friend is getting a PS3 for Ratchet and Clank -- that will make 3 people I know with a PS3 -- and I'm still planning on getting one for Brutal Legend if a PC announcement isn't made.

<]=)

24. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Is that from last week? Beyond3D follows the Japanese (and NPD) sales pretty closely. Below are the numbers posted today.

25. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Look at my last post. It sums up why you get different numbers from different outlets.

Here I'll quote myself since it seems to be true again (which I can't believe with Wii Fit being released)

The Phoenix rises :cool:;):D