Japanese Brawl character number leak? Maybe?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by GFLPraxis, Jan 19, 2008.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Attached to this post is an image I found.

I found the pic on a blog at IGN blogs by just a normal user (who claimed to have seen it elsewhere on the internet, but didn't say where). So I have no idea what the source is.

He says that it is from a newspaper in Japan (no idea which) that accidentally leaked that there are 48 characters in Brawl. However, he doesn't speak Japanese (nor do I) so he can't be sure.

I have no idea if this is fake or not. I can make out the number 25 (number of characters in Smash Bros Melee) right before the 48...

Anyone who speaks Japanese want to give it a shot and tell us what is on it?

There's really no way to know if it's real or a faked shot though. Maybe there's an indication of the magazine name on there somewhere.

EDIT:
    Tracked down the source, as far as I can tell. It originated on GameFAQs.
    http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=40874457
    From the thread:
    No one has confirmed it yet.

Attached Files:

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If true... then no wonder they spent so long making it. Imagine having to balance out 48 characters! Probably took them a few hours.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So many characters so little time to use them all....If I ever buy the game I sure won't play with all those characters but I guess having that option is nice.

Bless

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hoooold up, could it not mean 48 characters including assist trophy characters? 48 is an awful lot but as Nintendo has shown they're really going all out on this game.

5. asxtb macrumors 6502

My Japanese isn't that great... And the picture is really bad quality so it's really hard to make out some of the writing but....

Could it possibly have something to do with a department of 48 people making the game compared to 25 in past games? And right after the 48 there is 200,000,000 written. :confused:

6. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

48!!!!!?

That has to be with Assist Trophies! But OMG!

If it really does mean 48 PLAYABLE characters.... well that would be just insane.

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I highly doubt 48 playable characters unless there are a bunch of clones. If there are that many, then wow.

8. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズX

That's the last few paragraphs of the Japanese wikipedia article. That's also the last few paragraphs of this leaked article...

I'm calling "fake".

Nothing to see here :( Sorry!

48 characters actually doesn't seem unrealistic to me. Melee doubled the amount of characters in the original. They've already announced 25 characters on the Dojo, and they haven't even mentioned Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Mewtwo, Ganondorf, Luigi, Game & Watch...etc

9. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, such a weird picture kind of ranks up there with all the keynote "leaks" we just got.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think I predicted 35 characters in the big Brawl thread. We should make final predictions before it's out in Japan.

11. nintyuser macrumors newbie

I've heard there is going to be around 44 characters or possibly 50 characters. Since there was the leak from the Japanese video that Ness, Jigglypuff, and Lacario.
    http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/01/21/three-smash-bros-brawl-characters-confirmed/
    Also, Luigi and Falcon i bet are going to be playable too. I hope Mr.Game and Watch makes it. But characters from melee maybe most if not all will return then you have characters like Lucario who are new and considered rumors at this point.

12. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Unless everyone in this thread can agree to use the spoiler warnings and white text, I think I'll be ending participation the moment this game launches in Japan. I don't want all the characters spoiled. :(

13. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ps. I <3 Lucario. There's something about it, like a modern day Mewtwo or something. Plus his story in D&P was a nice little distraction. Thumbs up to it!

15. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I think you should be able to play as the chicken from Ocarina of Time.

16. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I want it as an assist trophy. Much like a Smash Ball, everyone tries to beat on it. Whoever beats it the most gets an army of chickens summoned to pummel their opponents.

17. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

18. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was an unlockable item or something. :D

19. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You fail.

20. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Com'on, what kind of Pokemaniac are you? wiki You're supposed to have all of them remembered. ;)

21. tk421 macrumors 6502a

Someone mentioned before having two separate forums - one with spoilers, one without. Maybe we should set that up. The Ness/Jigglypuff/Lacario news was posted by a newbie, and I'm sure it was an innocent mistake by someone who didn't know any better. It's harder to make such mistakes if the forum is entitled "Smash Bros. SPOILER-FREE ONLY!"

I for one don't care if I know everything in advance, but I want to respect those that want to be surprised.

Then again, the only way to be totally safe is to stay off the internet until you buy the game. :D

22. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Game is already out, more confirmed:

Confirmed
    24. Ness
    25. Luigi
    26. ROB
    27. Lucario
    28. Falco
    29. Marth
    30. Game and Watch
    31. Captain Falcon
    32. Ganondorf

23. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Brawl Central is down probably b/c of bandwidth.

What's another site w/ videos and screenshots?

24. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Okay, I'm dropping out of the thread NOW to avoid spoilers. See you guys :)