Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Japanese Cellular Provider KDDI Now Supports Apple SIM

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added Japanese mobile operator KDDI to its list of carriers that support the Apple SIM for the iPad, expanding Apple SIM availability to Japan for the first time. The Apple SIM can now be purchased in Japanese Apple stores in addition to retail stores in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the UK and the United States.

The Apple SIM, introduced in 2014 alongside the iPad Air 2, is designed to allow users to easily switch between different short-term data plans from a number of different carriers. The Apple SIM is particularly useful for traveling abroad, allowing users to switch carriers as needed.

During the early days of availability, the Apple SIM was limited to the United States and the United Kingdom through a partnership with carriers AT&T, EE, Sprint, and T-Mobile, but in June, a partnership with GigSky expanded availability of data plans to more than 90 countries.

The Apple SIM is available for cellular models of the iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 3.

Article Link: Japanese Cellular Provider KDDI Now Supports Apple SIM

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Why the heck doesn't Apple use these in iPhones?

With a universal "Apple SIM" in the iPhone, Apple could sell ONE set of SKUs that works on most carriers. No more issues with one carrier being out of stock at the store; any phone of the right capacity/color/size will do.

It seems like using these in iPhones would benefit Apple and the customer several times over compared to their use in iPads.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Why the heck doesn't Apple use these in iPhones?

With a universal "Apple SIM" in the iPhone, Apple could sell ONE set of SKUs that works on most carriers. No more issues with one carrier being out of stock at the store; any phone of the right capacity/color/size will do.

It seems like using these in iPhones would benefit Apple and the customer several times over compared to their use in iPads.

The carriers have to agree to it. It's a lot less of a risk for the carrier to allow it on the iPad than on the iPhone.

Heck, it probably translates to more sells for them on the iPad, since the iPad can be bought with or without cellular. People who feel like they might swap carriers in the future wouldn't want to get a carrier specific iPad so would go for the wifi model, except with Apple SIM, they might be more willing to buy cellular knowing they can easily swap later when they change carriers.

Comment

webbuzz

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2010
Here is what Greg Joswiak said about an Apple SIM in iPhones.

Apple exec: Don't expect Apple SIM to show up in iPhones
October 28, 2014 | By Phil Goldstein

HALF MOON BAY, Calif.--Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) decided to put its Apple SIM card inside its new iPads because it didn't know which wireless carriers its customers would choose and because the company wanted to give its customers more choice, according to an Apple executive.

Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president iPhone, iPod and iOS product marketing, said that the Apple SIM makes more sense for the iPad than for the iPhone because "most iPhones, by far, are sold through carriers." He said Apple sells more iPads through its own retail channels than it does iPhones.

"It's about the customer experience," he said during an appearance here at Re/code's Code/Mobile conference. "We ultimately don't know who you are going to use as the carrier, [and] we want to make it as easy as possible."

Joswiak said Apple has not discussed putting the Apple SIM into iPhones, but said that because of the way most customers buy an iPhone--through a carrier directly--the Apple SIM is not as well suited. "I don't think you're going to go to the Verizon store and say, 'Can you hook me up with AT&T?,'" he said.

The Apple SIM for the company's new iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 lets customers switch between different carriers' service plans on the tablets. However, there are numerous caveats to that premise. Article

Comment

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I have an Apple SIM when I bought my iPad Air 2. It's really convenient!

Comment

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
The carriers have to agree to it. It's a lot less of a risk for the carrier to allow it on the iPad than on the iPhone.

Heck, it probably translates to more sells for them on the iPad, since the iPad can be bought with or without cellular. People who feel like they might swap carriers in the future wouldn't want to get a carrier specific iPad so would go for the wifi model, except with Apple SIM, they might be more willing to buy cellular knowing they can easily swap later when they change carriers.
When the first iPhone was announced all we hear is that Apple dictates everything. I heard that carriers they talked to wants to put their logo on the iPhone. Obviously SJ didn't like the idea so only AT&T has agreed and took their chances. It turned out it was beneficial for AT&T, to the point that they actually even give Apple commissions for every iPhone subscriber. Now carriers starts to dictate Apple, and Verizon was the first who voiced their dissatisfaction when they learned about this Apple SIM. I guess Tim is scared from carriers, they threatened him not to mess with iPhone SIM. I really hope carriers like Verizon that someday confident enough not to demand Tim put their ugly logo on our iPhones. Keeping my fingers crossed. :D

Comment

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
It's amazing that Apple can even convince one Japanese carrier (Japanese wireless carriers are worse than US). Hopefully more will come on-board.
Thing is, many carriers outside the US offer post-paid contracts for tablets as well, so it might be a high mountain to climb for Apple to convince everybody.

Reactions: neier and Mums
Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
When the first iPhone was announced all we hear is that Apple dictates everything. I heard that carriers they talked to wants to put their logo on the iPhone. Obviously SJ didn't like the idea so only AT&T has agreed and took their chances. It turned out it was beneficial for AT&T, to the point that they actually even give Apple commissions for every iPhone subscriber. Now carriers starts to dictate Apple, and Verizon was the first who voiced their dissatisfaction when they learned about this Apple SIM. I guess Tim is scared from carriers, they threatened him not to mess with iPhone SIM. I really hope carriers like Verizon that someday confident enough not to demand Tim put their ugly logo on our iPhones. Keeping my fingers crossed. :D

It's a partnership. The iPhone without the cellular connection is just an iPod Touch. The cellular network without devices on it is a waste. Each company depends on the other - they each have to make compromises.

The carriers have compromised by having limited branding within iOS and none on the external of the iPhone (I think some components on the inside might have carrier logos.) Apple is compromising by allowing some carriers to not use Apple SIM.

Comment

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Anyone know the pricing in Japan for the data service?
Data only ? Getting nice now. I have 10GB data SIM+SMS via DoCoMo/NTT with LTE in my iPhone 6sP (SIM free); cost somewhere 2700Yen a month. rakuten. I hardly ever use the phone for calling as message and FaceTime is enough for me. And for emergencies I still have company iPhone. Lucky.

Comment

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Data only ? Getting nice now. I have 10GB data SIM+SMS via DoCoMo/NTT with LTE in my iPhone 6sP (SIM free); cost somewhere 2700Yen a month. rakuten. I hardly ever use the phone for calling as message and FaceTime is enough for me. And for emergencies I still have company iPhone. Lucky.
That's a pretty decent price for 10 GB plan. But the problem with Japanese MVNOs is that their data speeds are terrible. My b-mobile SIM (which, like yours, also piggybacks on Docomo) is throttled so that I rarely see download speeds greater than 2 Mbps. I'm curious what kind of speeds you're getting on the Rakuten SIM.

My guess is that whatever KDDI/au offers will also be heavily throttled.

Comment

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Some old measurement

Test Date: Sep 28, 2015 11:03 PM :D
Download: 4.16 Mbps
Upload: 9.96 Mbps

Right now I got :mad:
Test Date: Nov 19, 2015 10:13 PM
Download: 0.51 Mbps
Upload: 11.43 Mbps

Too many people streaming :confused:

Update from this morning:
Test Date: Nov 20, 2015 7:24 AM
Download: 1.62 Mbps
Upload: 25.39 Mbps

Last edited:
Reactions: vsuri
Comment

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Some old measurement

Test Date: Sep 28, 2015 11:03 PM :D
Download: 4.16 Mbps
Upload: 9.96 Mbps

Right now I got :mad:
Test Date: Nov 19, 2015 10:13 PM
Download: 0.51 Mbps
Upload: 11.43 Mbps

Too many people streaming :confused:

Update from this morning:
Test Date: Nov 20, 2015 7:24 AM
Download: 1.62 Mbps
Upload: 25.39 Mbps
Apologies for my belated reply, but I wanted to thank you for providing those measurements.

Comment

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Apologies for my belated reply, but I wanted to thank you for providing those measurements.
No problem; just an update:

Test Date: Nov 30, 2015 5:11 AM
Download: 24.65 Mbps
Upload: 7.45 Mbps
Ping: 52 ms
Connection Type: Cellular
Server: Yokohama

It really depends on time and location; the overall network congestion in Tokyo is awful. This one is out of an Onsen in Chiba (Kamogawa)

Comment

japanime

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Yeah, I've found that I can occasionally get great download speeds as well. But for the most part, it's slooooow-going here in Saitama (Kawaguchi).

Just tested mine and got these results:

Test Date: Dec 2, 2015 12:05 AM
Download: 0.89 Mbps
Upload: 1.64 Mbps
Ping: 39 ms
Connection Type: Cellular (LTE)
Server: Tokyo

Painful! Fortunately, I'm on Wi-Fi pretty much most of the day.

Comment

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I did a minimal subscription to gigsky in Australia to test the service. It worked well but the megabytes vanished quickly. It was good see see Hotspot working for iPhone & rMacbook. I hope that works in Japan.

Comment

mpainesyd

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Gigsky works well in Japan. However sometimes, after sleep, i get a "no service" message and have to restart the ipad.
Hotspot works with an iphone.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.