Japanese Kanji Predictions Limited in Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by lelandv, Jan 15, 2014.

1. lelandv macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Having recently upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks, I have noticed some significant changes in the way japanese input works, especially for the kanji predictions.

Before, when typing Japanese using kotoeri input, I had a drop-down with almost all the relevant kanji which I could select... at the end of the list there was an additional line that I could select to expand the search into other less-common kanji and then into kana and romaji if needed.

Since upgrading to Mavericks, the predictive kanji only gives me perhaps at most 3 possible kanji, and often none of the ones that I want, and no way to further expand the search.

For example, if I type "watashi" , it no longer presents just the simple "私" as an option, but only "私たち" and I then have to backspace to remove the "ta" and "chi". Others, for example "bunsho" only gives 文章 and doesn't even offer 文書 at all, even though it's the latter that I wanted.

Wondering if there's some way to get back the full list of predictions?

Thanks

Leland

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Pressing space after entering say watashi should give you 私, you can then hit space again for more options.

3. lelandv thread starter macrumors newbie

yes.. that I know.. but in my case it doesn't -- which is why I raised the issue... (it's not just for watashi, by the way).

if I type "watashi" and hit space it gives me only these three choices:

私たち
    私ら
    私専用

Hitting space again only cycles through these three options. Gone is the final "other" option to search the lesser used kanji and kana.

which means that I have to select one of them, and remove the superfluous stuff.

Similarly, if I want to write bunsho (文書), it doesn't give me that option at all, but rather only:
    文章
    文章力
    文章化

I have to first select "bun" and then select "kaku" (書く) and delete the "ku" character to create bunsho.

Under ML, these were all in the prediction lists.

L.

4. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Just to check whether or not we are seeing the same thing under Mavericks, I've taken some screenshots.

Where the first is showing just entering watashi.
    The second shows what happens when I press space (I haven't tabbed to select anything from the list) to give me 私.
    The third shows what happens when I press space again.

So I can enter say bunsho, I ignore the menu and press space so it gives me 文書.

If it's not working like this for you, is it broken in all your applications?

I wonder if something has broken in the upgrade process, might be worth creating a fresh user account and testing on that.

Attached Files:

5. lelandv thread starter macrumors newbie

ahaaaaaaaaa...

so they've changed the visuals to totally confuse me then !

now, I have to hit space first to produce the FULL dropdown list, where before it did it automatically and I simply used space to select between the ones on the list.

Thanks for that Dark Dragoon -- looks like I need to instill new habits on my side :)

L.

どもありがとうございました。