Japanese keyboard >>> English Keyboard Protector for Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hebrew, Sep 6, 2008.

1. hebrew macrumors newbie

Sorry for the confusing topic but I have a 2.4Ghz White Macbook that I picked up in a hurry from Japan. Keyboard has Japanese+English alphabet keycaps. At first it was alright, now its getting confusing!!!

I would like to know where I can get a Full English Keyboard Protector for my Macbook that exhibits full English alphabets. Any online sites to recommend? I cannot buy the usual sort of protectors cos the Jap version keyboard has completely different layout and size of keycaps.

Somebody please point me in the right direction. Thanks guys.

2. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Are you looking for something like this?

It's a keyboard cover for a japanese macbook.
    If you don't speak japanese, call the English line. They should be able to tell you if they deliver outside of Japan. I can't find if they do or not form their site.

3. hebrew thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

Yes, that is the original keyboard I have right now. I wish to find a FULL ENGLISH KEYBOARD PROTECTOR that will cover my original JIS keyboard. Any suggestions? My Japanese is not good at all so I really need English alphabets to type with. Thanks again..

4. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

I think a bigger problem that key labels with JIS keyboards is the key positions themselves, like quote marks, semicolons, the extra stretch of the right little finger for shift/return, etc. This is why I've almost always bought Mac laptops with US keyboards.

Anyway, did you remap your keys, which would make the current key labels not correct? Otherwise, I don't think the kana, etc. would be a big deal, especially if you touch type.

One thing you might try is to get a JIS keyboard cover that is completely transparent, like the one I'm using now, and use stickers or paint with stencils the underside of the keys, so they wouldn't rub off. Of course this would require reversing the stickers/stencils looking at the cover bottom-up.

Otherwise, just get used to it until you get your next computer...

5. hebrew thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info..

Does anyone know of any online store selling the JIS keyboard cover that is translucent and with English alphabets on it?

Much appreciated.

6. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

The translucent covers are easy enough to find in stores here, but I doubt you will find any with only English characters--that would be a real super-niche market. What I was trying to explain was to apply your own characters to the protector's "keys"--preferably from the underside--using stickers or paint. Not really sure if this would work, just an idea. Actually, if you just ignore the kana and a few "different" keys, I don't think it should make any diff to your typing; the big difference comes from a few different locations of keys, which is a more fundamental issue than what's marked on the keys.

(Weirdly, I did see an altered black MacBook cover at a big electronics store, Sofmap, but it was remarked with Windows keys such as alt, etc.)

So sorry, I don't think what you're asking for exists--you'd have to do your own customization to the protector, and at around 1,000 yen, isn't a big deal if you end up ruining it. You might try these guys, tho I wouldn't hold up much hope:

http://www.felixpc.com

7. windowpain macrumors 6502a

ah, sorry, I misunderstood what you were wanting.

You are wanting keys without the kana on them, yeah?

Well I think you have two choices;

1) Use an external Keyboard.
    2) Swap the keys.

I had a quick look on the net for replacement keys, but all I could find was a shop selling them for $9 each (each! - per key!:eek:)

I think It would be possible to take the keys off an apple keyboard like this and replace your macbook keyboard. I believe they are the same.(although aren't 100%..) You might be able to find a cheap (broken?) one on ebay..

Here is a guide for removing the keys.

The US keyboard and the Japanese keyboards are different, with different numbers of keys. I can't imagine it will be easy to find a suitable cover..

8. hebrew thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Tensakun & Windowpain.

Yes, I acknowledge both your advice. The Kana keycaps are sometimes a a hassle. Getting the corrective measure done from under a keypad protector might result in unsightly effects Tensakun. I thought about that..

Windowpain, I thought about getting a wireless keyboard but the hassle and bulkiness of it all.....

Last resort >>>> I am seriously thinking of changing out entire keyboard + palm rest from Apple. Cost might be crazy though...

But thanks guys....

9. windowpain macrumors 6502a

10. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

Good find, WP. He'd definitely want to go with the opaque ones to cover the kana. If these made a good bond on a cover, then you could take them all off in one twist of the wrist, but I'd worry about them flaking off.

I think replacing the keys themselves would be maddening, compared to any benefit from them.

Buying a new keyboard is a simple solution, and not all that expensive. BUT: you will end up getting tripped up on such keys as quote marks and colons as you move back and forth from the keyboard at home and your 'book's keyboard on the road.

Some of my gaijin (foreigner) friends have adapted themselves to the JIS keyboard, but I've bought 'books with US boards (from overseas or Apple Japan/special order) ever since my PB165.