Japanese PS3 in the UK... worth it?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by tjcampbell, Feb 3, 2008.

1. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Hi there,

I'm going to Tokyo in ten days and I already have a 360, DS, PSP and a Wii :)D) so I thought it would be a good chance to pick up a PS3. However my googling has proven mixed results.

So... does anyone know:

Is a PS3 multi-region for games and movies?

Do they sell both voltage formats in Japan or just 110?

Am I wasting my time because I already have a 360, DS, PSP and a Wii?

Thanks! T

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have an import USA machine, but powerwise etc.. it's same story to the Japanese model.

The PS3 is 100% region free for games.

The PS3 is region coded for movies, however a lot of movies are region free and therefore will play no problem on your jap PS3.

Use this site to check your movie http://bluray.liesinc.net/

The PS3 is multi-voltage built in 110-220v so all you need to do is use a standard computer power cable when you get back and you'll be sorted. (that was one of my main concerns as I got mine close to launch and there wasn't much info at that time.)

Are you wasting your time ? Well as someone who has 2 PS3's, a 360, a wii, a psp and a DS too I cant say ;)

3. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Dude, you rock, thanks for the fast and wonderful response. Looks like I'll pick up a PS3 in Japan... now the only question is black or white.... :cool:

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

if your thinking bout my baby, it don't matter if your black or white ;) LOL

I added a link to my post, handy bookmark for checking blu-ray region coding and region free status :)

5. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

It matters to my girlfriend!

Thanks for the link, will certainly come in handy. :)

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

MRU beat me to it, but yea Japanese PS3's will be fine. My cousin imported a load and they all work fine barring the region coded Blurays. Just change language to English and it's all good.

7. tjcampbell thread starter macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Thanks though and totally check out MRU's link for BluRay movies as it shows how many are region free. Looking forward to picking mine up!