Japanese text displaying as random characters

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jaster, Nov 12, 2009.

  1. Jaster macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2008
    #1
    Hi,

    Often when I browse certain Japanese sites or open a 'rar' file that contains files with Japanese filenames they sometimes appear as random characters. For example something like this: "ハートブレイカー"

    So far it has occurred in programs such as Finder, Safari, Firefox etc.

    Is there any known solution?

    Thanks.
     
  2. nastebu macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 5, 2008
    #2
    Hmmm... it shouldn't happen. Give a url of one of the websites that is affected.
     
  3. davidlv macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2009
    Location:
    Kyoto, Japan
    #3
    no Japanese fonts installed

    Check using Font Book to make sure at least one Japanese font, like Osaka, is installed (not turned off). And check in the language preference pane to see if Japanese is enabled?
     
  4. Jaster thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2008
    #4
    http://hnac.to/blog/?p=2101

    Both the blog post and comments don't display properly.

    Already have them enabled.
     
  5. calderone macrumors 68040

    calderone

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle
    #5
    I was going to recommend changing the text encoding. I tried it on this page, all 4 Japanese encoding types and UTF-8 as specified in the source code and nothing. I got some half-width katakana, random Kanji, and miscellaneous wingdings using Shift_JIS which typically clears these issues up.

    There is definitely some strangeness going on.
     
  6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

    angelwatt

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2005
    Location:
    USA
    #6
    I think there's something wrong with that site personally. I'm at work on my XP machine where I have Japanese enabled and it's not displaying correctly. The page had a character encoding of UTF-8, which should be fine, but it's possible their web host has a misconfiguration that is trying to use another encoding, or when the owner uploaded the file something when awry. In any case, at least for that site it's not your machine's fault. It could be similar with the RAR files. Often if that file gets passed through someone who doesn't have Japanese enabled the characters will become corrupt like you're seeing. Again, not much you can do.
     
  7. calderone macrumors 68040

    calderone

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle
    #7
    ^ I agree with your assessment. Best thing you can do is contact the site admin and let them know.

    Also, to the OP, thanks for the site. It looks pretty interesting and would be useful for keeping up with my Japanese. Now, if only the text was actually Japanese...

    I actually think I will twitter the site owner.
     
  8. Jaster thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2008
    #8
    Ah I see. Well thanks anyway for helping clear it up guys. Enjoy the site Calderone.
     

Share This Page