Jar app not opening right

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dstearns96, May 26, 2010.

1. dstearns96 macrumors member

dstearns96

I have a jar application, but my mac treats it like a folder. It has a .jar extension as well, so I don't know why it does this. Anyone know the problem?

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Do you mean that it is a folder or a folder is created when you double-click it? This is quite an important distinction. If it is a folder try downloading or transferring it again from where you got it. If it is actually a file, change the application that opens it to Jar Launcher.

3. dstearns96 thread starter macrumors member

dstearns96

It came in a zip file, and when I uncompress it, a folder comes out, with a .jar ending. Do you mean to open the zip file with Jar Launcher?

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Two possibilities: a) the jar file is zipped and the extractor just continues to extract since jar is just really a zip file too, even though it should stop at one layer, or b) your download program renames it to zip. See if you can find an application where you can set it process only one file at a time.

5. dstearns96 thread starter macrumors member

dstearns96

I tried every application for unarchiving things (the one that comes with every Mac, Stuffit Expander, 7zX, and the Unarchiver), and I got the same result, and I tried renaming the zip file with a .jar extention, and when I try to open that, it says it couldn't be opened.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

What is the zip or jar, and where did you get it? Be specific.

It is quite possible for a jar to not be double-click runnable. Depending on what it is, this may be intentional, or it may be an error by whoever made the jar.

There may be several reasons why a jar can't be launched by a double-click. Without knowing what's in the jar, and what your OS version is, though, it's all guess-work.

7. jackerin macrumors 6502a

So.

Attached Files:

8. dstearns96 thread starter macrumors member

dstearns96

Ok, nevermind, I didn't know Stuffit could do that, it works fine now.