Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CherryJello

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2009
Jason Calacanis is posting on his twitter that he has been "beta" testing the tablet for two weeks. right...

it has a solar power strip on the back for charging..right..

his NDA is "basically" over...

I don't believe this crap. What do you guys think?

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
Summary (in case those get deleted):

1. Ok, I'm going to bed (with apple tablet after reading nytimes+Vanity Fair on it!), steve jobs outdid himself, its greatest device ever!!!
less than a minute ago from UberTwitter

2. Apple tablet's 2 cameras is sick feature for video conferencing: u shoot what's in front of you + yourself. Augmented video conferncing!
3 minutes ago from UberTwitter

3. Yes, apple tablet is oled + back has solar pad for recharging, but it really doesn't work quickly. More a gimmic. Verizon+att,wifi yes!
18 minutes ago from UberTwitter

4. Apple Tablet has thumbpads on each side for mouse guestures, reads fingerprint for security. Up to 5 profiles by finerprint for family.
22 minutes ago from UberTwitter

5. Yes, there are 2cameras: one in front and one in back (or it may be one with some double lens) so you record yourself and in front of u.
26 minutes ago from UberTwitter

6. Well @joshgrenon, I can tell u the battery life is great in ebook reading mode but not great when on wifi or playing games. 2-3hrs
29 minutes ago from UberTwitter in reply to joshgrenon

7. Yes @HappyDrew, the apple tablet is running an iphone os flavor with ability to have multiple apps running at same time (ie pandora, browser
31 minutes ago from UberTwitter in reply to HappyDrew

8. Ok, I will take two questions about the new apple tablet which I have right here. Go ahead... My nda is basically over. :)
34 minutes ago from UberTwitter

9. The price will be 599, 699 and 799 depending on size and memory in apple tablet. Also, wireless keyboard + monitor connection for tv
about 1 hour ago from HootSuite

10. Also, the apple tablet is really amazing for newspapers. Video conferencing is super stable, but nothing new.

11. The best part ofthe apple tablet as beta user has been the built in HDTV tuner and pvr, and the chess game.

12. Note to press: No, not going to break my NDA w/ Apple/steve so u can get jump on announcement. It is the most *amazing* device ever.
about 4 hours ago from web

13. Yes, it's true... I've been beta testing the Apple tablet for the past two weeks and it's amazing.
about 5 hours ago from web

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I doubt it. Even on TWIT, he wasn't sure what it was going to be. And he never mentioned a beta model.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Supposedly he can't say the name or post a photo, but can divulge all the tech specs and features. Bullsh*t.

Apple sends out early devices to very few reviewers before the release, never ever before an announcement. For example, Walt Mossberg got an iPhone before it was released in June 2007, but he did not get one before the January 2007 announcement.

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
It is *possible*, although perhaps unlikely, that he has a unit. It would certainly suggest that any release delay after the announcement (we all assume March right?) is probably due to getting enough stock made to sell worldwide rather than the unit simply not being 'ready'.

Although he is a self congratulating fool sometimes he is not normally a liar and his description of the device is inline or perhaps above expectations... He certainly doesnt make his money from promoting Apple products (quite the opposite in fact) so he may be willing to burn a few bridges to get himself more attention.

RealEvil

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2007
it has a solar power strip on the back for charging..right..

There was a patent application described for exactly this on MacRumors last week (or was it 9to5mac... cannot remember). Anyway, the patent exists and was filed last week.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I doubt it. Even on TWIT, he wasn't sure what it was going to be. And he never mentioned a beta model.

Agreed. If anyor thinks he's had a model for 10 days - check out TWiT video for how he talks about it.

Is it the largest NDA breach r a good joke? Latter seems better.

Digitaldruglord

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
Why would such a respected figure, and co-organizer of TechCrunch 50 put his reputation on the line with lies?

I believe this is absolutely real and if it does deliver on those specs, yeah, that lives up to all the hype and would basically become e-crack.

That device would sell 10 million units. Anything less I don't think so.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Why would such a respected figure, and co-organizer of TechCrunch 50 put his reputation on the line with lies?

I believe this is absolutely real and if it does deliver on those specs, yeah, that lives up to all the hype and would basically become e-crack.

That device would sell 10 million units. Anything less I don't think so.

Because he's having a laugh on those overly taking in any old rumour.
When was the last time Apple did "beta testing"?
Yes, Walt Mossberg might get a piece of hardware early for testing, same with Pogue etc - but have they this time? There are many who'd be more likely to get one first if Apple was to send out hardware for review. Seeing as it is only an announcement, rather than an actual release, why would anyone have a demo model?!

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

Why would apple give a highly classified product to someone other than one of their own engineers for beta testing...

Also, the chess game part cracked me up, anyone that can't see this as being false is clearly not reading between the lines, the fact that the guy has plugged EVERY rumour about the device shows he's taking the piss...

BryanLyle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
If anyone saw Calacanis on TWiT this week, you would have known this was crap as soon as he started talking about Farmville.

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2007
Chicago
All I see is a guy with an ego trying to get more followers. No chance in hell he's had a tablet for the past 2 weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.