Java 1.4.1 Developer Preview

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
47,030
9,044
Apple released a Developer Preview of Java 1.4.1. Details posted in this mailing list email (Username/Pass: archives/archives):

The wait is over! Apple is excited to announce our first official
Developer Preview of Java 1.4.1 for Mac OS X version 10.2!
No definitive date for final release. Apple's implementation of Java 1.4 has been discussed since February
 

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
7,988
4
Go Vegan
....I'm confused....

Whats the Java thing? It's for webpages and web browsers right? Please tell me I'm right... What does this meen for Apple?
 

aramk

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2002
3
0
Clinton, NY
Excellent!

This is excellent news! Java and Cocoa Java is a path that Apple should (and is) taking seriously - this OOP language is easy to learn and very powerful! Kudos to Apple for finally getting around to implementing or at least working on an implementation of the latest Java.
 

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
639
0
Re: ....I'm confused....

Originally posted by LimeiBook86
Whats the Java thing? It's for webpages and web browsers right? Please tell me I'm right... What does this meen for Apple?
You're kidding me, right?
 

liloconf

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2002
14
0
^ ^ ^ ^ HIM up there

hey just cuased he don't no java dont meen he should be piked on.. i meen i dont no how two speel!
 

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002
168
0
Re: ....I'm confused....

Originally posted by LimeiBook86
Whats the Java thing? It's for webpages and web browsers right? Please tell me I'm right... What does this meen for Apple?
Hmmm.. well my company is very happy about this as it means that our entire Management Console Suite for storage devices can now be run from OS X... well maybe not the whole company but I am very happy that now I won't have to do testing on the poor derelict PC which I have only because of java 1.4
 

Telomar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2002
260
36
Re: Re: ....I'm confused....

Originally posted by macktheknife


You're kidding me, right?
Generally when someone responds like that and fails to expand it is a good sign it was a defensive mechanism for when you don't know the answer yourself.

If you have problems with what he said I would take it as what's so important about this version of Java that it really warrants a mention and what will it mean to Apple? There has been some substantial work done and rewriting of code for this release so it is important.

I will leave that for someone more active in Java development to answer though.
 

Mirage_

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2002
23
0
Re: ....I'm confused....

Originally posted by LimeiBook86
Whats the Java thing? It's for webpages and web browsers right? Please tell me I'm right... What does this meen for Apple?
Java is a crossplatform programming language. What this means is that you only have to write the application once, and it should compile and run on Mac, Windows and Linux. Java Applets are little programs that run on web pages, they never really caught on for most people. Flash and Shockwave filled that market. But if you see 'loading applet' thats a java applet. I don't know if this is a sufficient explanation...Maybe someone else would care to expand. I like C
 

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Re: ....I'm confused....

Originally posted by foniks2020


Hmmm.. well my company is very happy about this as it means that our entire Management Console Suite for storage devices can now be run from OS X... well maybe not the whole company but I am very happy that now I won't have to do testing on the poor derelict PC which I have only because of java 1.4
How ironic is it that Java, perhaps the most modern of languages, compels people to use very old hardware to access it.

The whole point of Java is to be agnostic of hardware, but this is rediculous!

Rocketman
 

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
1,319
0
Chicago
Re: Re: Re: ....I'm confused....

Originally posted by Telomar
Generally when someone responds like that and fails to expand it is a good sign it was a defensive mechanism for when you don't know the answer yourself.

If you have problems with what he said I would take it as what's so important about this version of Java that it really warrants a mention and what will it mean to Apple? There has been some substantial work done and rewriting of code for this release so it is important.

I will leave that for someone more active in Java development to answer though.
YOU'RE kidding, right?? I also find it quite surprising that he didn't know what Java is. With all of the publcity for Java out there, its quite surprising.

This is definitely good news from Apple, but it seems like there may be problems. For instance, it looks like they changed some of the Apple specific classes. This is apparent if you try running Limewire. There is either a class missing or not in a proper location which is related to Carbon.

This may also be a case of Limewire using improper classes or libraries in their implementation. I'm looking into what that cactually does.

Taft
 

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
2,517
0
Madison, Wi
I'll take this as further proof that Sun and Apple are working together tighter than ever.:D
This can only be good news.......
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
13,979
3
Gone but not forgotten.
Well, this is actually Developer Preview 2.

Java is not only a language for applets, which exist in web pages, but also for big applications. You might want to take a look at ThinkFree Office, an MS Office alternative, which has been written in Java. It is a prime example of Java's portability. Another is Borland's JBuilder Java development environment. These are large applications which run well on Mac OS X. :)
 

The Grimace

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2002
62
0
Bend, OR
Re: Re: Re: Re: ....I'm confused....

Originally posted by Taft


...This is apparent if you try running Limewire. There is either a class missing or not in a proper location which is related to Carbon.

This may also be a case of Limewire using improper classes or libraries in their implementation. I'm looking into what that cactually does.
Are you talking about problems in Apples current Java implementation in regards to LimeWire, or this Dev Preview? Personally, I find that LimeWire is MUCH slower to respond on my iMac DV 400 320MB under 10.2 then on my AMD K6-2 350 92MB under Win98SE. I've always wondered, and actually have posted queries, regarding this. I'm especially interested now as I'm taking an Intro to Java class at the local CC (love coding, wanna do it for a living eventually), and would like to get my Java cert at some point.

Thanks.

(tig)
 

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
639
0
Re: ....I'm confused....

Originally posted by macktheknife


You're kidding me, right?
Hey LimeiBook86, I would like to apologize for my remark. I had *zero* intention of making fun of you or ridiculing you. I was just surprised that someone who's a Macrumors regular didn't know what Java is. My apologies. :(

Anyhow, I think this is, of course, good news. Java 1.4 has been out for what, almost a year now? So this will let all OS X Java programmers up to speed with the rest of industry. If Apple and Sun were to work more closely together with timing future release dates of Java (like 1.5), it will hopefully make OS X an even more attractive option for developers.

However, I'm personally worried about the future viability of Java. I know this sounds crazy, but I have noticed that more developers are jumping on the .net bandwagon and switching to C#. Java's main appeal is its platform independence, but that is only an advantage if there were many standards used. As more and more small to mid-sized businesses switch to servers powered by Microsoft instead of UNIX, it makes sense for these businesses to adopt .net for their enterprise solutions. My friend who's a Java certified programmer has confirmed this trend, and he is also worried. Ironically, while some small to mid-sized companies are switching to Microsoft, large businesses are switching to open source software to cut costs. So hopefully, the existence and growing popularity of open source software like Linux, Apache, etc. will provide some future competition.
 

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
1,319
0
Chicago
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ....I'm confused....

Originally posted by The Grimace


Are you talking about problems in Apples current Java implementation in regards to LimeWire, or this Dev Preview? Personally, I find that LimeWire is MUCH slower to respond on my iMac DV 400 320MB under 10.2 then on my AMD K6-2 350 92MB under Win98SE. I've always wondered, and actually have posted queries, regarding this. I'm especially interested now as I'm taking an Intro to Java class at the local CC (love coding, wanna do it for a living eventually), and would like to get my Java cert at some point.

Thanks.

(tig)
I'm talking about an actual ClassDefNotFound error when running Limewire under the current developer preview of Java 1.4.1. The error was in reference to a Carbon class. My guess is that Limewire was using non standard classes for their GUI or filesystem stuff for the Mac and that Apple dropped those classes in the latest implementations.

Either that, or I've got a bad install of Java 1.4.1.

I'm not sure why Limewire is so damn slow in OS X. I've had good luck with other Java apps I use including JBuilder and IDEA. Maybe I am right about them using non standard classes for their OS X implementation and thats why its so slow.

Or maybe Limwire is just a giant pile of crap.

Taft
 

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
2,579
1
Portland, OR
1.4.1 DP2...

...is VERY VERY broken. Apple knows this. That's why it's DP2, not final. I would guess that LimeWire (which is crap) uses some stuff that's broken right now.
 

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
264
0
West Sussex, UK
Its good to see Java 1.4 on the Mac finally. This is going to make my life a hell of a lot easier when its complete.

I would just like to say that it is a common mistake to think that Java is only for web based apps. There are plenty of console progs written in Java and many apps that do many things. Take JBuilder for example...
 

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
2,913
25
Ha ha haaa!
About the LameWire remarks... I just downloaded 2.7.2 today (as usual, not knowing what's new with this version), and tried it out. While I still hate its guts, I must admit it's gotten a LOT faster over the time. I remember when it was painfully sluggish, and now it's actually bordering on normal!
 

codemother

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2002
23
0
UK
why is java important....

It's important because java is so strong for server side development. Look at java.sun.com and follow the links to J2ee - the api and docs for server side code. If Apple want to sell xserves then they really need to run the latest version of java to show willing, even if it's not completely required over 1.3.1

Compared to .net java is free to use esp. of course when used with apache, tomcat and jboss etc
 

Telomar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2002
260
36
Re: Re: Re: Re: ....I'm confused....

Not that this is applicable here but in terms of installed devices the most common place you would find Java is mobile phones and embedded consumer devices.

Originally posted by Taft


YOU'RE kidding, right?? I also find it quite surprising that he didn't know what Java is. With all of the publcity for Java out there, its quite surprising.
Not really. Unless you actually keep an eye on computer literature (or IT related business literature) it would be relatively easy to miss. It would just be one of those words you see pop up from time to time but don't really learn anything about.

Most people neither care nor know anything about programming languages no matter how much they have been hyped.

I just don't like seeing people jump on someone because they don't know every answer under the sun. Everybody has holes in their knowledge.
 

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
1,690
0
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ....I'm confused....

Originally posted by Telomar
Everybody has holes in their knowledge.
Ooh, i like that. I think someone apologized
for that comment.
 

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
7,988
4
Go Vegan
Re: Re: ....I'm confused....

Originally posted by Mirage_
Java is a crossplatform programming language. What this means is that you only have to write the application once, and it should compile and run on Mac, Windows and Linux. Java Applets are little programs that run on web pages, they never really caught on for most people. Flash and Shockwave filled that market. But if you see 'loading applet' thats a java applet. I don't know if this is a sufficient explanation...Maybe someone else would care to expand. I like C
I knew what Java was, btu now I know what it does, lol Thanks and no thanks for the people that picked on me :( (hee hee)
 

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002
168
0
Re: Re: Re: ....I'm confused....

Originally posted by Rocketman


How ironic is it that Java, perhaps the most modern of languages, compels people to use very old hardware to access it.

The whole point of Java is to be agnostic of hardware, but this is rediculous!

Rocketman
The PC isn't old I just meant that it is so infrequently used by me... Windows is just such a cludge as far as I'm concerned. However it did have 1.4 with some features my company decided were necessary for the software we developed so... it was either a Windows box or a Linux box... and for my purposed the Windows box was just easier (ie no configuration needed).