Java 6 & Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by deanbo, Feb 22, 2008.

1. deanbo macrumors regular

Does anyone know if Apple is planning to bring Java 6 to Tiger or am I SOL on the machine and OS that I brought a bit over a year ago?

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I'm not sure if Apple has said, but for now there won't be an Apple Java 6 on Tiger. Maybe they will backport to Tiger after they finish it on Leopard.

HOWEVER, there is a Java 6 on Tiger/x86, just not from Apple. http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/static/soylatte/

3. meagain macrumors 68030

Java 6 on Leopard?

I'm confused about Java. I'm trying to get on a RealPlayer chat and am unable. Real is saying I need Java 6 and I need to download the latest Java.
    I have no idea what they're talking about. I can't even figure out what version/type of Java I have. I have Leopard 10.5.2

Can anyone explain?

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

It sounds like Real hasn't considered that there is no Java 6 on Mac OS X, unless you add it yourself. Perhaps report it to them as a bug.

5. meagain macrumors 68030

Can you tell me how I can add this myself? I loaded the developers version which I "think" is 6 but not sure if it automatically kicks in.
    I've spent hours on the phone with real. It's either a Java issue or port/security issue with my Airport Express. :(

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I haven't used either on Mac. The Apple version is for Leopard & only 64-bit I think. The Soylatte version for Tiger, I'm not sure it can be used system wide. It may only work with apps that are configurable for multiple JDKs. This may be one of those times when Windows is your solution.

7. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Are there really that many changes in 6 (besides better performance) that you could stick to java 5?