Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
hey guys. i remember reading somewhere that it's not a good idea to install java because it puts my computer at risk. i dont know where i read that from, cant find it now. i have a macbook air 2012 osx 10.8.5

I'm a member of this travel blog website and the only way to upload multiple pics at once is to have java installed. I just installed it because the older version java 6 doesnt work at all on any of the browser, chrome, safari or firefox. i installed java 7 version 51, and it works but only for firefox. anyways i just have this one website enabled to use it.

what do you folks think? anyways need input here. thanks. i just dont what to put my computer and personal information at a security risk online.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
As long as Java is enabled only when you absolutely need it (i.e. your travel blog), it should be OK. I would double-check that it's disabled afterward, though, as Java is one of the most common entry points for malware on the Mac.

/Veteran MR user GGJstudios should see this thread...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
You are fine. It is true Java has in the past been exploited as a way to inject malware on Macs, but that newest version you have at the default settings will prompt you to approve anything running from a website in Java. So as long as you only approve Java on trusted sites, you will be okay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.