Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meldar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hi,

I moderate the official forums for a really big and widely-played Java-based online MMORPG. It's fully browser-based and has been for the almost-10 years it's been around. Usually I'm able to provide solutions to people posting their technical problems, especially with Mac; I wrote the official help guide three years ago and it's still relevant - this should show that the game runs well and the OSX environment is pretty darn resilient.

While I personally have not experienced it, there IS a problem that came up after the release of 10.6.5 in which the applet will not render a small portion of the game's graphics while in HD mode. The game can be run in software mode (meaning using the Intel chipset instead of NViDIA), but this tends to crash Firefox. Note that the game does not run well on Chrome or WebKit/Safari, and Opera has its issues as well.

I have lately been telling people to simply use OpenGL mode, but not everyone is able to do so and it dramatically increases CPU usage whilst eliminating all the HD effects. Since people pay US$6-9/mo to access the full HD fullscreen version of the game, they understandably want their money's worth - at least in good customer support.

So, having collated a large list of players' processor + GPU combinations, I've yet to come up with a solution!

It would appear that this issue affects anyone running NViDIA, regardless of whether or not they have installed CUDA, CULA, CUDA Fortran, any SDKs, developer drivers, etc. Using the GMA seems to work but a common complaint comes from people with the 8600GT, 9400GT, and 9600GT who do not have newer MBPs with two GPUs.

-

The game runs in a browser-based Java applet capable of rendering HD 1080p graphics and running at a maximum resolution of 1900x1280, and also supports fullscreen. The one issue at hand is the failure to properly render a certain part of the ingame graphics, a mini-map (overlay) in the top-right corner of the screen.

I am still unsure of what would cause this, but it definitely has something to do with Apple's new Java release and an incompatibility that arose when customers upgraded their computers and the company did not update their game.

What could cause this problem...? That is, what has changed in Apple's latest Java release that would lead to a rendering and/or display issue in an HD-accelerated Java applet?

I know this is a bit confusing - any questions, feel free to ask.

vbman213

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2010
I too play this game and I am experiencing the above problems...

I am kinda happy that Apple announced that it is discontinuing it's implementation of Java. I think Sun should be the sole distributor of Java and hopefully this will unify the JVMs improve compatibility!

Meldar

macrumors regular
Original poster
I too play this game and I am experiencing the above problems...

Ha, then you probably know who I am. :p

Well good. I haven't checked those forums (or these) in awhile...oops, that's college for ya.

Thanks for the link dcnoir. I will check that out and see what I can obtain from it!

Wonder if this will be resolved with 10.6.6, which apparently has already been seeded to devs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.