Java Applets

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Holmes89, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

I'm in a Web Application Development class this semester and our most recent project was to make a Java Applet that allows players to play Battleship. Since it is a small project we used jarsigner to create our own certificates so the Applet can run. Now that I have it up on a server only my mac and any other machine running Windows can run it, however when I try it on other Macs it doesn't work... why would this be? I just want it so anyone can play. Thanks!

2. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Perhaps the JREs are out of date (or not even enabled?)

Aside: a modern course that teaches Applets? While Java is going gang-busters as a server-side web language, not so much on the client. I'm really surprised that Applets were emphasized.

3. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

No I checked the one kids Mac and it had up to date JREs, I think. Plus I tried it on 3 or 4 other Macs in a computer lab. Could it be anything with the certificate handling?

The Applets was just supposed to be a transition thing because we also had to build our own game server program in java, just to show how to do ports and stuff through Java, it was only one week so it's not the main focus of the course haha

4. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

After doing some research I found that it might be the version number. I was assuming JRE 5 was the most recent but I guess 6 is? Does this seem right? Did they update the JRE in Snow Leopard and not in Leopard?