JAVA broken in Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by peter rock, Oct 27, 2013.

1. peter rock macrumors newbie

I installed Mavericks and now JAVA is broken.

after installing Mavericks you must install JAVA from JAVA.com and the most recent Apple JAVA update (Java For OSX 2013-05), which I did.

In Java Control Panel > Security, the Security Level "slider" is grayed-out (can't change it, it's set at 'High') and the 'Enable Java content in browser' check-box will not retain a check-mark. So I can't change either of these two settings. This happens as a 'Standard User' with Authentication or logged-in as an 'Administrator’.

Cannot get JAVA apps to work.

I've uninstalled JAVA, reinstalled JAVA, repaired permissions, restarted, etc.

There are other similar posts on the apple and java forums.

output from Terminal:
    Last login: Sun Oct 27 09:28:12 on console
    Peters-MacBook-Pro-2:~ prock$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_65"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

any suggestions?

2. mindlessmissy macrumors newbie

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

The only Java app I have (Jaikoz) works fine with it. When I first launched the app it asked if I wanted it to install Java I said yes and never looked back it works as expected.

Code:
    MacUser2525:~$ java -version
    java version "1.6.0_65"
    Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
    Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

5. jffluis macrumors regular

jffluis

I code in Netbeans with java 7 and no problems building/running my projects.

6. peter rock thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe there is a problem when Java 6 and Java 7 are both installed on a mavericks system. as far as I can tell, installing Java 7 when Java 6 is already installed does not delete Java 6 or at least not all of its files.

people I know who never had Java 6 on their computers and then installed Java 7 have no issues with Java under mavericks. if you had both 6 and 7 installed and then installed mavericks, Java is broken.

here is what I did to fix this problem on that has worked on 2 macs-an iMac and a macbook pro-both that were upgraded to mavericks. I eliminated all java files I could find, uninstalled Java 7, rebooted, flushed caches and reinstalled Java 7.

hopefully Oracle will release a revised Java 7 that removes the offending files as part of its installation.

7. Mosco macrumors regular

I followed Peter's more detailed directions here, https://discussions.apple.com/message/23551211#23551211.

But still no luck. Peter, what cache did you delete during this process? Do you have java 6 installed also. I had both installed pre-mavericks update, and ran into this issue after I installed mavericks.

8. Mosco macrumors regular

Tried it again, but this time also deleted the folders /Library/Application Support/Oracle and ~/Library/Application Support/Oracle and it works now.

9. John Hagelgans macrumors newbie

After struggling with this for a while and downloading numerous non-working packages from Oracle, all had the same problem. From /var/log/install.log

Apr 12 16:50:06 hostname installd[437]: ./postinstall: java.lang.NullPointerException
    Apr 12 16:50:06 hostname installd[437]: ./postinstall: at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:514)
    Apr 12 16:50:06 hostname installd[437]: ./postinstall: at java.lang.System.initProperties(Native Method)
    Apr 12 16:50:06 hostname installd[437]: ./postinstall: at java.lang.System.initializeSystemClass(System.java:1119)

I found this http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&src=support_site.kbase.search&locale=en_US&q=java

It actually installed from Software Update in App Store after one of the botched installs.

Let me know if that helps you.