Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peter rock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
I installed Mavericks and now JAVA is broken.

after installing Mavericks you must install JAVA from JAVA.com and the most recent Apple JAVA update (Java For OSX 2013-05), which I did.

In Java Control Panel > Security, the Security Level "slider" is grayed-out (can't change it, it's set at 'High') and the 'Enable Java content in browser' check-box will not retain a check-mark. So I can't change either of these two settings. This happens as a 'Standard User' with Authentication or logged-in as an 'Administrator’.

Cannot get JAVA apps to work.

I've uninstalled JAVA, reinstalled JAVA, repaired permissions, restarted, etc.

There are other similar posts on the apple and java forums.

output from Terminal:
Last login: Sun Oct 27 09:28:12 on console
Peters-MacBook-Pro-2:~ prock$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

any suggestions?

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I installed Mavericks and now JAVA is broken.

after installing Mavericks you must install JAVA from JAVA.com and the most recent Apple JAVA update (Java For OSX 2013-05), which I did.

In Java Control Panel > Security, the Security Level "slider" is grayed-out (can't change it, it's set at 'High') and the 'Enable Java content in browser' check-box will not retain a check-mark. So I can't change either of these two settings. This happens as a 'Standard User' with Authentication or logged-in as an 'Administrator’.

Cannot get JAVA apps to work.

I've uninstalled JAVA, reinstalled JAVA, repaired permissions, restarted, etc.

There are other similar posts on the apple and java forums.

output from Terminal:
Last login: Sun Oct 27 09:28:12 on console
Peters-MacBook-Pro-2:~ prock$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_65"

any suggestions?

The only Java app I have (Jaikoz) works fine with it. When I first launched the app it asked if I wanted it to install Java I said yes and never looked back it works as expected.

Code:
MacUser2525:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_65"

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
I code in Netbeans with java 7 and no problems building/running my projects.

peter rock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
I believe there is a problem when Java 6 and Java 7 are both installed on a mavericks system. as far as I can tell, installing Java 7 when Java 6 is already installed does not delete Java 6 or at least not all of its files.

people I know who never had Java 6 on their computers and then installed Java 7 have no issues with Java under mavericks. if you had both 6 and 7 installed and then installed mavericks, Java is broken.

here is what I did to fix this problem on that has worked on 2 macs-an iMac and a macbook pro-both that were upgraded to mavericks. I eliminated all java files I could find, uninstalled Java 7, rebooted, flushed caches and reinstalled Java 7.

hopefully Oracle will release a revised Java 7 that removes the offending files as part of its installation.

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
Tried it again, but this time also deleted the folders /Library/Application Support/Oracle and ~/Library/Application Support/Oracle and it works now.

John Hagelgans

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2014
After struggling with this for a while and downloading numerous non-working packages from Oracle, all had the same problem. From /var/log/install.log

Apr 12 16:50:06 hostname installd[437]: ./postinstall: java.lang.NullPointerException
Apr 12 16:50:06 hostname installd[437]: ./postinstall: at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:514)
Apr 12 16:50:06 hostname installd[437]: ./postinstall: at java.lang.System.initProperties(Native Method)
Apr 12 16:50:06 hostname installd[437]: ./postinstall: at java.lang.System.initializeSystemClass(System.java:1119)

I found this http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=search&src=support_site.kbase.search&locale=en_US&q=java

It actually installed from Software Update in App Store after one of the botched installs.

Let me know if that helps you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.