java development environments

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by firefly01, Jun 10, 2007.

1. firefly01 macrumors newbie

I'm just starting to learn Java, and I wonder what people think of NetBeans v. Eclipse v. whatever else is out there that I don't know about. (I've already heard from 2 of you that Xcode isn't so hot for Java.) Just knowing what the options are would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

2. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

I use IntelliJ IDEA. Far from free, but sometimes you don't get what you don't pay for.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

If this truly is the case AND you are really wanting to use an IDE (something I advise against), then I would suggest you take a look at Netbeans BlueJ Edition.

I really recommend you learn the language and not the tool, though.

4. Heath macrumors regular

If you're just learning, a decent text editor and the terminal are your friends. I think this goes for pretty much any text based language. Avoid IDE's for now until you understand how everything works. Once you know, then start looking for IDE's if you want. As for Java ide's there are more options than you can shake a stick at, google will give you a brief list. Also consider that many text editors will allow you to run scripts from right inside the editor which, when set up properly can take a lot of the busywork out of developing, but also avoid the whole footprint of a giant IDE setting.