Java Differences: Safari 4 on Leo vs Tiger

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Hey all. I've been noticing some differences between Safari 4 on Tiger and Leopard. An Oracle Peoplesoft Enterprise system that I use online CAN be connected to properly on Safari 4 (4.0.3, 5531.9) under Leopard, but not under Tiger (4.0.3, 4531.9). I've been told the problem on Tiger is because of Javascript differences, so, I'm wondering just what the Java differences might be between the respective versions. (Or any other major differences, for that matter.)
    Cheers

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Java != Javascript

As for the actual problem, Safari 4 is actually different depending on which version of Mac OS X it is running on. The Snow Leopard version is different to the Leopard version for instance. Why Apple made the choice to go down this route I don't know but it would most certainly explain the problems you are experiencing.

What is the exact problem you are having?

3. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

This is exactly the problem.

Specifically, when I try to access a certain part of the website (the part run by Oracle), it says "Authentication: User not found," leaving me with the option to sign in again, which doesn't work with my user name and password.

I should note that I've installed every Java update available to this date to no avail.
    What I'm wondering is, is there something (a plugin?) I could get for my version that would make it closer to the Leopard version.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As I said in my original post, Javascript has absolutely nothing to do with Java.

5. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Kay, where does that leave me?

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Seeing as you have no control over the website the only thing you can do is try a different browser. I recommend the latest version of Firefox. If that does not work try Opera 10.