Java Directory HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ehasen, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ehasen, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

ehasen macrumors newbie

So...

I was trying to set up a VPN to proxy to my university in order to access scholarly journals on my new macbook pro. The cisco VPN client they use required Java so I installed Java 7. This didn't seem to work, and I couldn't get the "heavy" client to install either so I tried to troubleshoot this problem. In the process I ended up deleting the Java directories in both "/system/library" and "/library", now I want to get back to zero and try this again, but I am not sure how to replace the Java directories, and simply installing Java7 won't do it. I also tried booting java in terminal and having it request the install, but that didn't work. I assume that the scripts for running the install command were included in the java folders.

I am running Mac OS X 10.8.2 on a June 2012 Macbook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

I am new to the forum, and new to working on my mac at this level. I have heard really great things about the forum. I would really appreciate any help, guidance or direction you might be capable of offering me. Thanks in advance!

Erik

2. kryten2 macrumors 6502a

Your university must have some kind of information on how to setup/install the cisco VPN client. If that's the case please post a link to the information. Also post the error messages you get and post some screenshots of what you tried.
    Post the cisco VPN client if it's not proprietary software.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would reinstall Mountain Lion to get those folders back like they should be, then install Java 7 from Oracle.

You can just command-r boot to recovery and select reinstall OS. Backup to be safe, but this will not erase your data.

4. ehasen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! This worked perfectly. It took me about 2 hours and I did not lose any data. Im still having trouble with the VPN, but im back to normal in the directory. I think my problems simply have to do with cisco not yet supporting the newer versions of mac osx and java.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad that worked. :)

Here is some info from Apple on how to reenable Java 6. That might get you going again with the VPN.