Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMacintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
So, I program all the time in Xcode (Cocoa, Objective-C) with Interface Builder. Now I'm getting interested in Java too, since it seems so simple.

The java course I took taught me to use the Eclipse IDE. I know that Xcode supports Java also, so which should I use?

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
I prefer Eclipse for Java. I like the way it shows errors on-the-fly, and I like the way its debugger handles object/variable visibility.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I've been slowly getting to grips with XCode over the last few months as I am learning iPhone development. However, I have been using Eclipse for a number of years now for Java development and I like it a lot. I don't recall much of a learning curve getting to know Eclipse whereas XCode has a much steeper curve.

I always feel more in touch with my application when using Eclipse - with XCode I always feel a bit disconnected somehow. I know Apple have improved XCode a lot in recent years but they are still playing catchup with Eclipse in my opinion. I would say the same about Microsoft Visual Studio too - playing catchup with Eclipse.

I'd say start with Eclipse and then once you are up and running (a few days maybe) try an exercise in XCode and see what issues you find. Don't give up at first sign of difficulty though - ask for assistance with specific issues on this forum and then once you have resolved as many specific issues as possible then see what you are left with and whether you can live with it.

Cheers,
Craig.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
For Java, Eclipse hands down. Eclipse is first and foremost a Java IDE, and has all the bells and whistles (and will continue to do so). Xcode, on the other hand, is primarily for C/Obj-C/C++ development, and seeing as Apple likes to ignore the fact that Java exists, I wouldn't count on high-quality continued Java support in Xcode.

gumbyx84

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Have to agree with everyone. Eclipse is just a better IDE for Java then XCode. Been using Eclipse for almost 7+ years for Java coding (for degree and personal work). Only issue I have had with it is that some community-made plug-ins don't work in OS X, but that is not the fault of the IDE.

While the IDE itself has a learning curve (but you get used to it fast), XCode is a great IDE for C\C++ programming. I prefer it to Eclipse's C/C++ environment (which, for me, is always a pain to try and set up). Also, XCode comes with a bunch of Apple exclusive libraries if you are going to be working on OS X apps (though Coca is the preferred means to programs said apps in).

Best way I can describe it is Eclipse was made for Java programming and XCode was made for C/C++ and Coca programming.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.